The Swarm

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
that is truly scary........ don't you think that the tank is a little bit crowded. are those fishes carnivours? make sure to count your fingers every time you go near that tank. :good:

by "traditional" stocking standards, that tank is VERY overcrowded. but the "traditional" stocking rules dont apply here./ also, this tank is ridiculously over filtered, and water is pristine to say the least.

yes they are carniverous. and will eat just about anything introduced. but their teeth are very small. lol. no need to worry about losing digits.

that is truly scary........ don't you think that the tank is a little bit crowded.

really anoys me when people say things like that, they dont have a clue about the filtration/water changes so why should it matter!
nice tank mate, really cool fish, hope i can get some one day.

Or the species itself for that matter. But it happens.
With 2 AC110's ( 500gph and 4L media ea), and a 40g sump with an additional 10L of media, they are very well taken care of.
Not to mention the UV filtration system and religious WC schedule.
I don't subscribe to traditional fishkeeping rationale.

They look FAB! I'm guessing their carnivorous nature is the reason to keep them in a large group - so that any one fish is less likely to be the one getting all the aggression? They are amazing little fish.

I don't subscribe to traditional fishkeeping rationale.
amen to that!

there are to many people that are being told that you cant have more than 1" per gallon when infact this is a guide, they just go OTT

There are MANY different schools of thought in every aspect of fiahkeeping and NOBODY has it right
While internal filters and box filters are common in the UK, they are not used in the US. Then in asia, they use mainly OHF, which are amazing and underrated filtration systems, but not really used anywhere else. Also "overstocking" tanks is a common and highly successful practice in asian countries, but shunned in most other parts of the world.
No single school of thought has it right, so its really up to the individual fish keeper to either follow the reasoning they're given in their area, or research for themselves and come up with a system that works for them and their wet pets.

The 1"/gallon "rule" is set up as a basic guideline for new fish keepers with no knowledge about water parameters, nitrogen cycle, advanced filtration function in regards to beneficial bacteria, etc.
Its a basic guideline someone decided was a good idea a long time ago, and while it still serves its function for beginner fish keepers, it is not gospel etched in stone, simply a guideline.

that is truly scary........ don't you think that the tank is a little bit crowded.

really anoys me when people say things like that, they dont have a clue about the filtration/water changes so why should it matter!
So what you're saying is as long as the water quality is good it doesn't matter how many fish you cram in? Mmmm...interesting...

They look FAB! I'm guessing their carnivorous nature is the reason to keep them in a large group - so that any one fish is less likely to be the one getting all the aggression? They are amazing little fish.
Thanks.
You guess correct. If these mini monsters are kept in a group of less than 10 they will likely kill each other. In a large well fed shoal, the aggression is much lower and easier to control.

they're very cool.

Do they breed in there?
Do you have all of your tanks bare?
How many exodons have you got :drool:

So what you're saying is as long as the water quality is good it doesn't matter how many fish you cram in? Mmmm...interesting...

yes yes i am, obviously these fish in the wild would live in large shoals, swimming space has to be considered in planning of any tank, mmmm intresting.

E

That is not it at all. There are many factors to take into consideration, water quality and bio load is only part of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back