The Strange World Of Glofish And Other Aquarium Man Made Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

While I disagree superficially with creating GloFish, I have personally not heard of any genetic issues with them. I think it'd be important if someone were to breed them (not that they should...) that they did their best to find a fresh genetic pool.

I have never enjoyed the look of balloon fish and while I don't judge anyone that owns one, I know that there are a lot of issues with health regarding balloon fish.

To an extent, man does the same thing when selectively breeding fish. I have Dark Knight Rams -- to get that type of coloration on a fish that exhibits very little black surely required a lot of work. The consequence is that they are not as hardy as a traditional ram cichlid.

The boundaries of what is moral and what is not are very thin.

There is a lot of selective breeding for desired traits throughout any number of species of animals owned, collected, and harvested for food clothes, etc. Cows have been selectively breed for better and more meat. Horses have been selectively bred for more speed to win races.

What is right and what is wrong is for each of us to decide.

I have veil tale angelfish, which I am pretty sure is selective breeding and not natural in the wild. I am sure that there is a very high number of selectively bred fish species that many of use own right now.

When selective breeding leads to deformities that endanger a fish, giving it a short miserable quality of life, then I say no.

Selectively breeding to get a specific color/shape of fish isn’t wrong in my book, so long as it doesn’t hinder the fishes ability to live a long, happy life.

The “balloon” fish, in my opinion, are absolutely grotesque. (Molly’s, Rams, etc.)

Have you guys ever seen balloon gourami? the poor thing looks like their organ was crushed, it's a horrendous thing human can do to the animal.

1620217637074.png

I hate them but they are not GMO's they are injected fish that will pass the genetic trait.
What are you referring to? If you are speaking of Glofish, they are not injected, they are genetically engineered with a gene from jellyfish...there DOES exist injected fish, which is totally different from Glofish, and is a cruel and unusual practice....Glofish are not harmed by their genetic makeup...and originally, weren't even bred for the aquarium trade

These are mine, almost impossible to get a clear shot of them though.

I'm aware the tank is too small for them, it is the smallest of my quarantine tanks and all I had available when they came to me. They will be moved very soon.

I really wish the guy I got the eBay tank from had normal danio in there, but there's little I can do now and I'm not willing to kill them or pass them on to another keeper.

They seem happy enough, so I'll do my best to keep them that way.

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_141107.jpg
    IMG_20210505_141107.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 69
What are you referring to? If you are speaking of Glofish, they are not injected, they are genetically engineered with a gene from jellyfish...there DOES exist injected fish, which is totally different from Glofish, and is a cruel and unusual practice....Glofish are not harmed by their genetic makeup...and originally, weren't even bred for the aquarium trade

sorry I forgot to add that I meant Glo bettas.

Very interesting short video, I learned things that I had no idea about.

Like did you know that its against the law to breed glofish and sell them. Glofish is a company in Singapore which genetically created these fish for use to check the toxicity of rivers and lakes. Glofish the company has patented these fish, so it is illegal to breed and sale them, or even to just give them away.

Very interesting and informative. As long as it doesn't harm the fish in any way, I think it's ok. I do not agree with shooting dye into the fish to make words or designs on the fish. Or modifying the genetics to get hybrids, fish or mammals. It's not natural and causes issues for the animals. I know that scientists want to do great things to improve life. But some things need to be left alone. Just because they CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD do it. It's only about money.

Glofish were originally created to help scientists detect toxins so that waterways could be cleaned up. But human nature being what it is, someone quickly realised there would be a market for them in the aquarium trade :(

Might be a little controversial but another thing that I think is cruel was a betta with long fins, some crowntail can barely swim!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back