The Past Ain't What it Used to Be...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NJNVCOCA

Reaction score
...as I had three freshwater and two marine tanks 40 years ago. Then none for 30 years. Now I'm old and I'm doing it again! Wow have things changed. There was little to no cognizance of the Nitrogen Cycle then. It was all floss and carbon and a much higher mortality rate than now.

We started with $9 PetSmart juveniles as they were inexpensive. Classic neophyte mistake! Oops. Now these fish are over 12" each, but we're so attached to them, and faced with their ever increasing size, bioload and overall comfort, we're setting up a 400G 'land of the giants'!

...as I had three freshwater and two marine tanks 40 years ago. Then none for 30 years. Now I'm old and I'm doing it again! Wow have things changed. There was little to no cognizance of the Nitrogen Cycle then. It was all floss and carbon and a much higher mortality rate than now.

We started with $9 PetSmart juveniles as they were inexpensive. Classic neophyte mistake! Oops. Now these fish are over 12" each, but we're so attached to them, and faced with their ever increasing size, bioload and overall comfort, we're setting up a 400G 'land of the giants'!
what fish are those?
im not good with scientific names lol

Welcome to you and I fully empathise. I was only 'away' for 13 years and even so, I'm surprised by the changes;
Snails are now our best friends.
Shrimps are a 'Thing'.
Planted tanks are now the norm.
As you've noticed, the role of the Nitrogen Cycle is now widely known.
The Medicine Cabinet is now depleted, simply because it is needed less.
The market appears to have even more gadgets and gimmicks, with what I perceive to be an excess of goods targeted at those who want mega-communities in tiny tanks and who want them NOW! That said, I've found the bottled bacteria to be very useful and am well-impressed by the new lighting. Testing kits have also improved.
Of course, the internet is now in existence and is a potentially valuable resource of good info...and an irritating source of truly awful info.

Welcome to you and I fully empathise. I was only 'away' for 13 years and even so, I'm surprised by the changes;
Snails are now our best friends.
Shrimps are a 'Thing'.
Planted tanks are now the norm.
As you've noticed, the role of the Nitrogen Cycle is now widely known.
The Medicine Cabinet is now depleted, simply because it is needed less.
The market appears to have even more gadgets and gimmicks, with what I perceive to be an excess of goods targeted at those who want mega-communities in tiny tanks and who want them NOW! That said, I've found the bottled bacteria to be very useful and am well-impressed by the new lighting. Testing kits have also improved.
Of course, the internet is now in existence and is a potentially valuable resource of good info...and an irritating source of truly awful info.
yep!
you need to know what is right...

no i mean what fish do they have...
i know what that means since i searched it up LOL
i thought there were some scientific names.....
Juvenile means young so that doesn't give us any clue to the species either ????

Juvenile means young so that doesn't give us any clue to the species either

Read the original post again: "We started with $9 PetSmart juveniles as they were inexpensive. Classic neophyte mistake! Oops."
To translate, @NJNVCOCA bought some small juveniles and, in doing so, made a mistake common to newbies.

I have to say though, that I'm also curious about what they bought, that grew up to be so large.

Read the original post again: "We started with $9 PetSmart juveniles as they were inexpensive. Classic neophyte mistake! Oops."
To translate, @NJNVCOCA bought some small juveniles and, in doing so, made a mistake common to newbies.

I have to say though, that I'm also curious about what they bought, that grew up to be so large.
Why "Read the post again"? My reply was for Sgoosh.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back