Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The fine print got me.... help!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by vegajane23, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:09 AM.

1. vegajane23

vegajane23 New Member

So, I've been letting my planted tank settle before I decide to add new fish... I current only have 2 cory cats after a bad batch of guppies went belly up. My water specs are perfect, and i've been downing my lighting to help control algae, BUT I got the bright idea to add some algae fix to help speed the process. Well... my 2 ghost shrimp (that have been presumed dead for 3 weeks) decided to come out when I fed the cory cats this morning... and of course algaefix is toxic to them. I did a 50% water change, but does anyone think an additional 50% change is helpful or would it stress the tank to much????

2. seangee

seangee Member

Go ahead and do the change. FWIW a 75% change is better than 50% - just make sure the water is dechlorinated.

3. Byron

Byron Member

I concur completely. Do a major change, you only have two fish (cories) and shrimp so drain the tank down to about 2-3 inches off the substrate, then fill with fresh dechlorinated water at the same temperature (doesn't need to be exact, I use my hand and usually aim for just a tad cooler).

Lesson learned...do not use any additive to deal with a problem that in itself is not harming the fish. You may be worried about your shrimp, but I can guarantee your cories were affected as well. Any additive gets inside the fish naturally and into the bloodstream.

• Informative Informative x 1