The cult of "DIY KING". Just bizarre.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No I didn't say that. I said I wasn't interested in his channel weeks ago..and then one popped up . Look the guys a near murderer. Strangled a man. I didn't want to get into that but you seem to thinks he's god's gift. He's into what brings the dough in. his personality change is what he wants to portray,Because I don't hear or see any expertise from him.
Like I said,it's sad ,the thing that might be worst, is that people write right those awful fawning posts to "Joey"..like he's some god come to save them all. It is over the top ridiculous. Watch "Joey" all you want. I'm warning the open minded.
Huckster with a nice thing going is all he is. Or,WATCH him until the cows come home if you want. Free country.

Not really sure why he has you so worked up, it's entertainment. No one ever said he was some aquarium expert. The guy has nice tanks and keeps a lot of fish that the average person doesn't have access to. Who wants to see another video of a guppy tank, or goldfish tank. If i want to see guppies I can spend $100 bucks and build a guppy tank. I can't build a 2000 gallon arowana and stingray tank.

If your whole issue with him is he has more subscribers than channels you deem more worthy; I'm not sure why those other channels don't step their game up. His production value is high and he is constantly changing his tanks and not releasing 10 species spotlights or product reviews every week. People like vlog style entertainment these days, turn on your tv even the discovery channel is all "reality tv".

Don't hate the guy for figuring out the formula. Just don't click on his videos and try promoting the channels you enjoy rather than bashing the ones you don't.

If everyone on earth liked the same thing we would all be sitting here under black lights staring at glofish.

No,what got me going was that once again,people just don't comment on his channel - they leave those testimonials that he changes their lives and make it worth living.
Egad..he just keeps fish. And he's not great at it either. I would worship Gary Lang if my self esteem needed to worship a person with aquariums.

No,what got me going was that once again,people just don't comment on his channel - they leave those testimonials that he changes their lives and make it worth living.
Egad..he just keeps fish. And he's not great at it either. I would worship Gary Lang if my self esteem needed to worship a person with aquariums.
you don’t need to convince everybody else that he is a terrible person, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you do not need to keep ranting about how much you hate him.

I didn't say I hated him. I answered posts don't I? How many posts does "Joey" ever answer?...only if they are groveling and flattering.
Hey,Remember that old Rock Hudson movie where he made a living as an outdoorsman writer of a national magazine? Turned out..he didn't know much ..but he had the personality and looks to sell it at Sports conventions. It was a comedy.
Anyways my point was how weird people get over him. Like a cult.

With any celeb that has fans there's a following - I'd hardly call it a cult. (Remembering Jim Jones and the Gianna tragedy.)
CULT - "In the sociological classifications of religious movements, a cult is a social group with socially deviant or novel beliefs and practices, although this is often unclear. Other researchers present a less-organized picture of cults, saying that they arise spontaneously around novel beliefs and practices."

Well there you go - if you have a fish tank, you're in a cult!!!
Actually a bit surprising that Joey has over a million subscribers. Must be the aquarium hobby is pretty huge - who knew?

Fairly pointless thread that should be moved since it's not really fish related....just saying.

I wasn't trying- or am- troll,trolling,flaming. But!..if it was locked,moved,or deleted? Would really prove my point!
Don't blame the messenger.
ps..I have a bad habit of answering posts. I never could ignore a question or point....
He's no Tony Roberts.;)

I wasn't trying- or am- troll,trolling,flaming. But!..if it was locked,moved,or deleted? Would really prove my point!
Don't blame the messenger.
ps..I have a bad habit of answering posts. I never could ignore a question or point....
He's no Tony Roberts.;)
My point is this really isn't fish/aquarium related, more social commentary. Joey has over a million subscribers that like his channel. And then there's @Stan510 . :)

Well, in my defense..I'm well known all over as a gardening expert. International boards of exotic plants. MANY of my photos are all over google, in books and articles..uncredited or i.e. stolen!..but not the point.ha.
I only started posting on aquariums since 2018 when I got back to the interest.
I was a Museum tech who handled the aquatic displays..and a 100,000 gallon pond of Koi and native fish..kept separate and included 6' Sturgeon.
I was asked by an Academy of Sciences lead aquarist to apply there...
I then worked for a University as a greenhouse manager of their collections used in botany and in biological sciences. I'm not a scientist..I just worked with them and for them.Great people..best I ever met. Except for my granddaughters..ha. So cute.
So,that's where I come from.

Go to bayareatropics photos on DavesGarden.com...or Stan on Growingontheedge.net or Agaveville.com. Or Garden Web.com...or Grows on You, Stan 510. Those would have thousands of photos to peruse in total and between those views and Google pics.. I would think i'm in the hundreds of thousands of "seen". Something like that over 20 years..close to it. Photobucket kept stats and I was shocked at the huge numbers world wide.
I've seen my photos on ebay,amazon sellers sites. Also Pinterest. All those are terrestrial plants..some I've grown,some around town,botanical gardens.
I'm everywhere it seems.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back