The Continuing Adventures Of Skifletch

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SkiFletch

Professor Beaker
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
After 4 months of building and planning my 65g tank is finally operational. It took way longer than I expected to finish but the end-product is amazing. It feels like I have a new home :D Most of the hardware was re-used from my old 45g tank with the exception of lighting and flowrate. Lighting is now done via 2x175watt Hamilton 10000K bulbs off a dual magnetic ballast and flowrate is now off of 2xSeio M820 as opposed to 2xSeio M620.

I'll start off the pictures with a few nitty-gritty hardware shots:

Here's the inside of the custom hood. Painted white and epoxy coated to last a lifetime. Complete with my little dual "suns" and 4 BIG A/C 120mm fans which sound like a jet ready for takeoff :lol:

07-30-07FTS018.jpg

Next up a couple plumbing shots. Notice the check valve on the sump pump, exceptionally important. Also the overflow is accomplished via a "Calfo" overflow drilled in the back of the tank. Water flows into the bulkhead fittings, to the Tee and then straight down. The top of the Tee is drilled with an air hole to allow for silent operation. Return pump is a Danner Mag 7 and if my calculations are correct, it's putting out 500-600gph. All plumbing is 1".

07-30-07FTS019.jpg

07-30-07FTS016.jpg

Here's a simple shot of the sump and chaeto in the refugium

07-30-07NewTank004.jpg

07-30-07NewTank005.jpg

So now the livestock :D. I'll start with some old favorites that you've all seen:

Palythoa grandis
07-30-07NewTank021.jpg

Lieutenant Gerald Piws (Purple firefish) and a Favites brain
07-30-07NewTank020.jpg

Captain Pendergast (Bar goby)
07-30-07NewTank024.jpg

Rear Admiral Kimberly Bryant (Black Leopard Wrasse)
07-30-07NewTank026.jpg

Palythoa sp
07-30-07NewTank035.jpg

Lieutenant Commanders Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne (percula clownfish)
07-30-07NewTank034.jpg

Vice Admiral Victor (Eightline wrasse)
07-30-07NewTank012.jpg

Admiral Justin Hastings (Solorensis wrasse)
07-30-07NewTank014.jpg

And now for some new additions

Blastomussa Wellsophyllia
07-30-07NewTank019.jpg

Acanthastrea Lordhowensis (australian)
07-30-07NewTank017.jpg

Cynarina Deshayesiana
07-30-07NewTank031.jpg

And introducing to the Fleet. I've yet to decide on a name, but he will certainly be given the rank of Grand Admiral. A C. labouti fairy wrasse

07-30-07NewTank022.jpg

07-30-07NewTank029.jpg

And last but certainly not least, the obligatory full tank shot. Hope you all have enjoyed
07-30-07FTS010.jpg

Nice setup you got there. ! was along time in the making but got there and well done. Its about time we saw some SPS in there isn't it?

Hi mate,

Only just noticed this sub-forum! Looking great..........

Nice one ski, cant w8 till its blooming with maturity. :drool:

Nice one ski, cant w8 till its blooming with maturity. :drool:

Yeah me neither :D. I'm most astounded with the growth of the paly grandis... It was 3 heads when I got it, now 15

And Matt, now with the dual halides I too think it's time. I have two little colonies in there but they don't grow fast :)

loving the fairy wrasses ski as well, seems like you can keep more then 1 wrasse together goes well for me wanting flasher wrasses :drool: though seeing your fairy wrasses my loyalty may be switched from flashers to fairys, that sentance sounds a tad strange :lol:

Hehe, thanks Shib. The fairy's are gorgeous, I can't blame you for wavering on your allegiane :shifty:

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Still have to finish the wiring and get the skimmer going but those shouldn't be too tough :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back