The Colosseum at night (2 pics)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cian McLiam

Ye Olde Irish Tank Guy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
No need to introduce these pics!

I indulged in a couple of new lenses on holiday, these were taken with the new Tamron 11-18 Super Wide angle, I'm amazed at the quality of this less expensive lens.

ColosseumWeb.jpg

ColosseumWeb2.jpg

WOW, those are Amazing Pix.
You've Captured the Power of The Collosseum

Don't think I need to compliment them really, it's quite obvious.

I'm going there there next year (Rome, Venice...etc etc.)

Cian - Were Going to Venice for a Week to Visit Cousins.
Is Italy as Wonderful as it always looks on TV, how did you find picking up Italian.
My Cousins, Only Speak Italian, not a Word of English Or Punjabi.

It's a shame this staggering monument was once used as a travertine quarry for centuries to build churches and such, which is why the western part of the structure is missing. The millenia of entertainment for the Roman people, not limited to intense gladitorial combat and gruesome slayings of vicious beasts, still strikes apparent in these pictures... It looks like a building from Las Vegas with the extravagant lighting, a reasonable comparison if I do say so myself.

Great shots as usual, you have an uncanney eye for great pictures, so I have to ask?

What type of camera, settings and lenses did you use to get these shots?

Did you use the same stuff for the shots of Pompeii you posted earlier? If not what did you use?

Thanks folks, glad you liked em :)

Is Italy as Wonderful as it always looks on TV, how did you find picking up Italian.

Italy is really nice, it was our second time there but we still preferred Sorrento in the south to Rome. My wife didn't really feel safe walking around Rome at night. You shouldn't have any difficulty using English, most people you will have dealings with will usually have a few words of English, enough to get by. They do appreciate you using whatever Italian you have though, especially hello's, goodbye's and thank you's.

The millenia of entertainment for the Roman people, not limited to intense gladitorial combat and gruesome slayings of vicious beasts, still strikes apparent in these pictures... It looks like a building from Las Vegas with the extravagant lighting, a reasonable comparison if I do say so myself.

A shrewd comparison there :) Even back then they knew once you could amuse or divert the people to frivilous and meaningless things you can pretty much do what you like with the stuff that really matters. In those days it was gladiators, beasts and blood, now its sports, superstitions and soap operas (and Las Vegas :) )

What type of camera, settings and lenses did you use to get these shots?

The camera is a Nikon D70, the lens is the Tamron 11-18 Super Wide and the settings are pretty straightforward. I always use aperture priority or manual with a constant aperture of F8 @ISO 200, adjusting the shutter time to get a good exposure. Getting there just after the sun sets is crucial, once the sky has gone black you've lost the best shots. You can see the gear I use here: http://cianmcliam.smugmug.com/gallery/614909

Same stuff as the Pompeii shots, yes :)

Might Be a Little Cheeky, but how much did your trip cost.

Were going in Mid October as its the Cheapest Flighs we have Found = £145 for 2 Adults for a Week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back