Thanks To All Forum Members For Help And Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The easiest live plants are: anubias and java fern.  These plants don't actually get planted into the substrate, but tied on to stone, wood, etc. in the tank. They are readily available in just about any LFS and very easy to deal with.  No ferts needed (other than the fish poo), no special lighting requirements - just 4-6 hours of light a day is sufficient.  I'm far from a plant expert, still very much new to that, but I've had my live plants for over 2 years now, and they have grown and spread and grown and spread.  Lots of little fern plants now.  My anubias is quite large.

Ah yes I see your screen name above.
I think you are both correct I will try and manage what I've got and venture into
the planted route at a later date.

If I phased in some ferns how do I know they won't contain snail eggs. Had this problem in the garden pond with lilies that I bought.
Also will ferns tolerate a brackish salty water?

Not sure about brackish water, but you can be almost certain that if the plant is in a tank when you buy it, it will contain some snails or at least snail eggs.  If you buy the plants from a stand in the LFS where it is stored in a gelpack, then snails are far less likely. 

In the US, they look like this:
0819112106b.jpg

That's a microsword, but its not much different for anubias or java fern.  The biggest difference is that the anubias and java fern come in cylindrical packaging.  The gel rinses off easily.  If you are worried about snails a dip in 1 part bleach ans 20 parts water can deal with them.

It didn't decipher BGA as I'd hoped - it mean Blue Green Algae and it's not nice!
I am left with a large java fern on stone in the large tank as I moved the small anubia and small java fern both on bogwood to the small tank. I suppose I ought to update my signature soon! lol
EDIT: re the snails there are assassin snails that will gradually annihilate the others, but I don't know how they'd fare in brackish water.

Just released fry from floating breeder after 6 weeks.
No problems with the adult mollies. They seem to recognise them as fish and not food.
The fry seem fearless and are getting their share of food.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back