Tetratec Ex1200 Suddenly Noisy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Twinklecaz

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi, I think I have a problem with my filter.

I've had it running since August/Sep when I got my new tank. It's never been silent which has always annoyed me because I've heard they are supposed to be. But it's always been a very low quiet hum that I got used to (it's in my bedroom).

On Saturday I gave my filter a clean for the first time since having it and it hasn't been the same since, it's been nosier to the point other people have commented.

I had trouble getting it started again which I eventually realised was an error on my part because it didn't have enough water in it to prime easily. I got a bit flustered and switched the power on a couple of times before it was ready so I don't know if that's had an impact on it. I did switch it off again right away though.

I added a bag of Purigen to the top basket and I had a bit of trouble getting the motor head back on initially and really had to push everything down.

Last night it started making what I can only describe as a slight drilling noise. It actually woke me up. It was a bit quieter again this morning though.

My question is what have I done to it and how do I fix it? Could it be an impeller problem? It does kind of bug me that the Tetratec is meant to be silent and mine never has been so maybe there's always been a problem?

Did you open the taps back up fully? and did you give it a good shake to remove any trapped air?

The drilling sound you describe (like a tapping sound) usually happens when the filter is turned back on before the taps are opened.

When you say turn them back on fully, do you mean turn them both round to totally open before I adjust the flow? Yeah I did that. Or do you mean with the key? Because I get confused with the key, when it says turn it I'm never sure which way and in what position you're supposed to leave it. Mine only turns one way. :S

Yeah I meant open the adjustable taps fully, I assume the key you are talking about is the part that holds the part between the taps and motor head together, this will always need to be closed.

If you have used the taps to slow the flow down this may be causing the noise, I used to use reducers on my APS external filter 16mm pipes in order to fit a Hydor external heater which was made to fit 12mm pipes, because of the restriction the impeller in the motor head did knock slightly. I have now got the correct size 16mm fitting Hydor heater attached to the pipes and the knocking noise has gone.

okay i have two of these filters. and yes they get noisy after a clean, becasue there is trapped air in them i would say give it a good kick several kicks just enough to dislodge it to release any air, it its keep being noisy check the pipes coming in see if any air is traveling down the pipes, if not open it back up and check the rubber seal see if its dislodged, wipe away and muck around that area, check the impeller see i anything is broken, only problems i have with my 1200's is air after cleaning makes a fizz sound going through the filter i just kick it a few times and then eventually it goes away

Thanks for all your help guys. On closer inspection I realised that the noise is actually my new powerhead (Koralia 1600 l/ph).

What I don't understand is that it was completely silent for thr first few days, then started making this noise. I've taken it out and checked the impeller etc but it hasn't helped. It's not a distracting noise during the day but I'm having to turn it off at night.

I bought the power head to help with my algae problem which it really seems to be doing so I guess my questions are this really:

1. Is there anything I can do to make it silent again?

2. If I continue to switch it off at night, will it still help to keep the algae away? Bearing in mind it was a CO2 circulation problem that caused it (we think).

3. Can anyone recommend a good powerhead that really does stay silent?

4. If I were to take it out and use a Fluvel U3 filter that I have lying around instead, would this do the job of creating good flow as well as she powerhead?

Just a few obvious things to check,
  • is the power head or the power cable touching or coming into contact with anything that is transfering the vibrations and causing a noise?
  • If the power head uses a magnet on the outside of the tank to hold it on in line with the magnet on the powerhead? if they are a bit out of line it can cause noise.
My 2 900lph Koralias are super silent but have caused noise before wich was caused as a result of these two things.

Thanks for all your help guys. On closer inspection I realised that the noise is actually my new powerhead (Koralia 1600 l/ph).

What I don't understand is that it was completely silent for thr first few days, then started making this noise. I've taken it out and checked the impeller etc but it hasn't helped. It's not a distracting noise during the day but I'm having to turn it off at night.

I bought the power head to help with my algae problem which it really seems to be doing so I guess my questions are this really:

1. Is there anything I can do to make it silent again?

2. If I continue to switch it off at night, will it still help to keep the algae away? Bearing in mind it was a CO2 circulation problem that caused it (we think).

3. Can anyone recommend a good powerhead that really does stay silent?

4. If I were to take it out and use a Fluvel U3 filter that I have lying around instead, would this do the job of creating good flow as well as she powerhead?
lol how could you mistake the filter noise for the powerhead. you need to check your ears :p

Loool I had to go to work that day so didn't have time to think really.

Thanks Livewire. Yeah the cable is quite tight to the tank because it's so short. Will try what you've suggested. Thanks :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back