Tetras

fishheaded

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Hey all, I've hopped over from the salty side and have never dealt with freshwater. I have had a nano reef for about 3 years and yesterday happened to see the neon/cardinal tetras at petsmart. They look absolutely gorgeous and am thinking of keeping some. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep 5-6 of them in a 2.5 gallon? Thanks in advice guys..
-FishHeaded
 
Hey all, I've hopped over from the salty side and have never dealt with freshwater. I have had a nano reef for about 3 years and yesterday happened to see the neon/cardinal tetras at petsmart. They look absolutely gorgeous and am thinking of keeping some. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep 5-6 of them in a 2.5 gallon? Thanks in advice guys..
-FishHeaded
Off course you can.... Plenty aeration and regular water changes and you can keep an oscar in there....... Go for Cardinals though.. they're a lot more colourful than neons.
 
^^ Joking shurely?? Neons and cardinals need at least 10g, as they are active fish that need room :good:
 
^^ Joking shurely?? Neons and cardinals need at least 10g, as they are active fish that need room :good:
Ye know.... growth is restricted by the fish urine in the water..... now if you do regular water changes, this dilutes the urine content and you can keep them as if in a 10g. Just more work per capita, but yea!.... Feasible. (that's why I (seriously) say, You can keep an Oscar in there..... (change water 2 x / day)
 
You could keep an oscar in there, but without space to swim, let alone turn arrond, I doubt it would be happy.... Realy, I personally think 10g is minimum for tetras....

All teh best
Rabbut
 
i disagree. tetras are a small minnow fish right?? honestly, who cares how "cramped they are". if you have enough plants to break up the tank, maybe some floating and a dark background, the tetras would be alright. i work at a nursing home and one of our residents has about a 5 gallon. its got 2 gouramis, 7 tetras, and about 3-4 platys. it might be overcramped, but the residents didnt really care and the fish are going on 3 years since purchase.
 
i disagree. tetras are a small minnow fish right?? honestly, who cares how "cramped they are". if you have enough plants to break up the tank, maybe some floating and a dark background, the tetras would be alright. i work at a nursing home and one of our residents has about a 5 gallon. its got 2 gouramis, 7 tetras, and about 3-4 platys. it might be overcramped, but the residents didnt really care and the fish are going on 3 years since purchase.


I understand that it is possible to have fish in this mannor, You can also keep a cat in a cage or a dog in a kennel their whole lives, but it doen't make it humane. Fish shouldn't have to live under overcrowded stressful conditions. Would you like to share a 1 bedroom apartment with 6 other people?
 
Theres a difference between keeping a fish alive and having it happy. I'm no animal rights activist, I just think that happier tanks mean less stress and as such better survival rates - not to mention more active, confident fish.
 
(that's why I (seriously) say, You can keep an Oscar in there..... (change water 2 x / day)

We're talking about a 2.5 gallon tank - an adult oscar wouldn't fit through the top if you bent him in half first. If you wanted to keep one in cramped conditions, maybe a 20 gallon tank would suffice to get him wet, but you're not keeping him alive for long. Bad water conditions even with two water changes a day will lead to disease, and if he's still growing he'll likely be deformed before long. Maybe a flow-through system constantly replacing water would work for longer, but that would be harder to set up than a suitable tank. You're confining the fish so it can't turn around, only move a few inches forward and backwards.

Fish do care about their conditions, their behavior and health will paint a pretty good picture of it if they're unhappy. Thankfully, fishheaded sounds like he's a good bit more experienced with fish in general and likely knows to ignore advice like this.
 
Thanks for the advice guys. :) I had a feeling that 2.5g would be a little to small :/ but I just wanted some reassurance. I was watching the tetras at the pet store and saw that they do swim quite instantaneously so I wouldn't want to trap them in such small captivity. Sorry for stirring up some conflict. :blush:
-FishHeaded
 
Thanks for the advice guys. :) I had a feeling that 2.5g would be a little to small :/ but I just wanted some reassurance. I was watching the tetras at the pet store and saw that they do swim quite instantaneously so I wouldn't want to trap them in such small captivity. Sorry for stirring up some conflict. :blush:
-FishHeaded

No Problem Good luck with what ever you decide on
 

Most reactions

Back
Top