Tetras Schooling?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

t.ropical_m.istx3

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I just bought two types of tetras today; neons and glowlight. i only got three of each, as i was told they would school together. i've seen some mingling but nothing i'd say is schooling. will two different types of tetras school together?

"Mingling" is a good description from my experience (which isn't vast :unsure: ) of Tetras. If you can get at least another 3 of each, you will get a better display.

no different tetra species will not shoal. get at least 3 more of each. :good:

david

no different tetra species will not shoal. get at least 3 more of each. :good:

david

You'd best pop round and tell that to our 9 Buenos Aries tertas and 5 Congo tertas then :)

They all shoal together (or they did until we moved the Congo's into our new tank).

Schooling is a defensive strategy small fish use in conditions where the feel threatened. It is rarely seen in typical tanks as the stocking levels are so high, the behaviour has no benefit. Small fish school up in large tanks with big open spaces. 10 Neons in a 24" will rarely school, put the same fish in a lightly stocked 6 foot tank and they'll stick to each other like glue.

Generally fish will only school with their own kind. If really scared, they'll school with anything, but by then, you have bigger problems.

My experience is yes , some different tetras will school together but not all will.... My neons and bloodfins are often schooling together... And oddly my Danios and my Brass Tetras school.... seems like my tank is divided by color.... all my fish with red swim in one group and all my silvery/brass colored fish swim in a other group.... looks very interesting...
Side question anyone know anything about Brass tetras??? Bought mine about 4 months ago and can't find any info….

Schooling is a defensive strategy small fish use in conditions where the feel threatened. It is rarely seen in typical tanks as the stocking levels are so high, the behaviour has no benefit. Small fish school up in large tanks with big open spaces. 10 Neons in a 24" will rarely school, put the same fish in a lightly stocked 6 foot tank and they'll stick to each other like glue.

Generally fish will only school with their own kind. If really scared, they'll school with anything, but by then, you have bigger problems.

There is nothing threatening in our tanks and they still schooled together - they were also the largest free swimming fish in the tank, so nothing to fear.
They would 'prowl' together and sometimes even swarm food as a group

Now that we have seperated the 2 species, the 9 BA tetras have lost the tendancy to group so I'm now wondering wether they were actually schooling with the same fish they felt threatend by?

The 5 congos now have 6 tiny tank mates and are a lot more relaxed that the 5 adults were - But they are still sticking together - 5 adults in the lower 1/2 of the tank and the 6 'kids' in the top 1/2 abouve them - quite odd to see :)

I just bought two types of tetras today; neons and glowlight. i only got three of each, as i was told they would school together. i've seen some mingling but nothing i'd say is schooling. will two different types of tetras school together?
Yes they do shoal, my neons and glowlights, when i had a higher number used to shoal. I have a neon and a glowlight in my tank, as its cycled as ammonia and nitrite readings are 0 and nitrate is low but no low enough, i think... and theyre in there for an experiment, to see how things go. Anyway, they stick together and never seperate :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back