Tetras - Friendly Ones?question About Barbs Added

pippoodle

RIP Dear nan 22/03/1925 --11/03/2009
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
3,861
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Devon - UK
I want some tetra's to go with platys , guppies minnows and shrimp
which ones are the friendliest or are the all quite friendly

take care

Sarah xxx
 
Most Tetras that have a torpedo shaped body will be fine with them :good: Avoid silvertips and the diamond shaped ones, as they are the exception to the rule IME and will have male guppies fins, but otherwise.... Tetras are one of a few fish with teeth. Though they won't do us harm (the small ones at least :shifty: ) they will do supprising ammounts of damage to fins if they nip them.

All the best
Rabbut
 
I want some tetra's to go with platys , guppies minnows and shrimp
which ones are the friendliest or are the all quite friendly

take care

Sarah xxx

Most of the small tetras are pretty friendly, and the platys and minnows will be fine with any of the commonly available tetras, but the guppies might experience some fin nipping. Neons, cardinals, lemons, black neons etc are all very suitable. A commonly cited rule of thumb is that the taller the body shape of the tetra, the nippier they're likely to be. So I guess I'd avoid phantoms or black skirts for example.

In my experience Emperor tetras are a major exception to this, as they can occasionally be pretty aggressive to anything with flowing fins. I wouldn't combine them with guppies at all.
 
thanks for the replies very helpful
can let hubby know which fish he is allowed to add to my tank lol
 
Ooh, you should do congo tetras...what size is the tank that they will live in?

tropicalfish004.jpg
 
they will either go ion the 60 ltr ir in the 180
but will be with guppies and baby cherry shrimps
whichever they go in


he now wants to know which babrbs --- god he's a pain in the butt lol
 
Yeah, you should do Congos...they would love the 180. I'd recommend something a little smaller for the 60...I like Pristella tetras. What about rasboras?
 
I'm not sure how well the Congo Tetras will do with the shrimp... how big do they get? They will definatly be able to eat the shrimplets

I know they aren't tetras but they are similar... I can recommend Harlequin Rasboras as a shrimp friendly shoaling fish.

Bigger barbs will go for the shrimp, but you may be ok with smaller ones like cherry barbs and 5 band barbs.
 
5 line barbs, black ruby bards would both be OK IMO. Odessa barbs are usualy fine, but you do get more "rogues" than adverage with them... Same goes for golden barbs and cherries. Most other barbs I have come across would make light work of the guppies though....
 
thanks again for the replies thats it thats his choice lol
i'm not asking for him again ;)
he should be lucky i'm allowing him to put fish in my tanks lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top