Tetras for 5 gallon tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

No on cories because, primarily, they are highly social and must have a group of six (minimum) with more, many more, being in the best interest of the cories. Cories do not clean up anyway, and they do not eat algae ever. Shrimp might work, just realize bettas will eat some shrimp, depending. Or snails.

No cories. The tank floor is far too small. And you've got a rough substrate for the bottom which is not good for cories even in a bigger tank.

If you do decide on a snail, nerites are the best type. Mystery snails have long antennae and bettas have been known to mistake them for worms and bite them off. Nerites have tiny antennae which bettas don't seem to notice.
I always had a nerite in the tank when I had bettas. They are also excellent algae eaters.

I have had several bettas, one at a time over the years. One was very laid back so I tried putting cherry shrimps in with him. He totally ignored them, even baby shrimps and the shrimp population increased. After he died the next betta ignored the adults but the shrimp population stopped growing so he must have eaten the babies. The next betta attacked the shrimps. I found bits of shrimp all over the tank, and I managed to rescue the last few.
You could buy a laid back betta or a shrimp killer but you won't know which he is till after you add shrimps - which could end up as an expensive betta snack.

No cories. The tank floor is far too small. And you've got a rough substrate for the bottom which is not good for cories even in a bigger tank.

If you do decide on a snail, nerites are the best type. Mystery snails have long antennae and bettas have been known to mistake them for worms and bite them off. Nerites have tiny antennae which bettas don't seem to notice.
I always had a nerite in the tank when I had bettas. They are also excellent algae eaters.

I have had several bettas, one at a time over the years. One was very laid back so I tried putting cherry shrimps in with him. He totally ignored them, even baby shrimps and the shrimp population increased. After he died the next betta ignored the adults but the shrimp population stopped growing so he must have eaten the babies. The next betta attacked the shrimps. I found bits of shrimp all over the tank, and I managed to rescue the last few.
You could buy a laid back betta or a shrimp killer but you won't know which he is till after you add shrimps - which could end up as an expensive betta snack.
Wow - well I'm not a big snail fan. 😬
Are there any other options for an algae eater that might work?

Not really. The only things small enough are shrimps and snails, all algae eating fish are too big or need a shoal.

Nerites don't look like the snails you find in the garden, if that's what puts you off.

Not really. The only things small enough are shrimps and snails, all algae eating fish are too big or need a shoal.

Nerites don't look like the snails you find in the garden, if that's what puts you off.
It's when they're stuck to the glass in front of me 😬
I do like their antennae, kinda cute.

My male betta, Boo, is on his own in a planted tank. I have a cube tank like described and don’t really get algae. I limit his feeding and keep the tank out of direct sunlight.
He seems pretty happy by himself, I’d never introduce anything else fish wise, he flares a lot when I go to feed or water change so I’m sure he’d either kill or attack anything I put in or they’d kill him with stress.(Apart from the fact males should be on their own, anyway)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back