Tetras Etc & 'mature' Tanks

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Ok, so I've ready various threads about Tetras etc preferring 'mature' tanks (6 months+ running), not just a tank that has been 'cycled'.
However I also have the situation where the fish I wanted for my new tank were mainly Tetras, (cardinals and rummy nose), so was torn; Do I get just get a few fish for 6 months, lose my filter bacteria, and then in 6 months slowly add in the tetras, or do I go for a decent stocking of Tetras to start with, and risk them 'disliking' the 'new' tank.

So the long & short of it is I've gone for the second option and ordered the Tetras. Now as much as I want these fish, I also want to do more than just 'cross my fingers' for their comfort and survival.
Rather than waiting until half of them die and then decide that they are rejecting the tank, (in which case they will be moved into my 60L tank, which will then be overcrowded, but at least mature!), what are the signs I should look out for that they are not happy?
I'm guessing a paling of their colours, and also perhaps a lack of eating, but is there any other 'warning signs' that they are perhaps not happy with their environment when moved in?

Thanks!
 
I suggest after your tank has cycled. Add a platy or 2 and wait a couple of weeks. Then you should very slowly stock the tank with the fish you want. Eg 3 neon tetras, wait a week NN&A are fine add another 3 etc etc. Just out of interest whats in your 60l?
 
Thanks, I understand that's one way to do it, but thats not the way I'm doing it as;

A) It would almost completely nullify the fishless cycle I've been doing for the last umpteen weeks
B) I don't want platies :) , mainly just tetras making up the bulk of the colour - lol

In the 60L tank at the moment I have:

2 x Albino Cory
4 x Cardinal Tetra
3 x Melanotaenia Praecox (2m / 1f)
6 x Guppies (1 Adult female, 1 stunted male, 4 fry)
1 x Spotted Bulldog Pleco (187a)

:)
 
Well, I must have gone against the grain because I put 5 neon tetras in one of my new tanks last year and I only lost one of them to swimbladder disease - they've been in my tank for almost a year. Didn't seem to bother them that it was a newly cycled tank and not mature. They never lost their colour and have never been ill.

Having said that, I might just have been one of the lucky ones!

Athena
 
Ive done the same Athena, added 10 neons to a new tank (mature filter media) not lost a single one in nearly 8 months. Honestly I think so long as the tank is cycled, this must be mature thing is more of a recommendation than a must, Ive added rams to a newly cycled tank and didnt lose them either, are they are sensitive fish.

Schmill, just add them and dont worry about it too much, keep up with your normal tank maintenance and you should be fine.
 
Cheers both, good to hear that things may very well go 'hiccup free', it will make a nice change! :)
 
Before I had the sense to join the forum I cycled my tank with 3 glowlight tetra and 3 x-ray tetra, they are still with me 9 months on. Not advisable I realise after joining the forum and reading about fishless cycling, but they are all ok and were joined once I had got all readings to zero, by 2 more of each, 5 neons and 4 white skirt tetra. They are all doing well.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top