Tetra Selection

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jaywings19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As you can see by my signature, I have a 72G that is being cycled right now. I have this tank setup for a South American community.

South American Community Setup
5-6 Angels (small)
2-3 Apistogramma Cacat.
5-6 Corydoras Sterbai
1 Pleco - gold nugget or zebra

I would like to add some sort of Tetra school(s) to this mix. However, I am aware of the danger with Angels around. I already have 7 Neons in my desktop tank... but I really like them and don't want to risk their health/safety in the 72G.

I'm hoping that you can help recommend some types of colorful tetras that would not be in jeopardy due to the Angels.

Thanks.

I would say check out the Red and Blue Columbian tetras, but since your going total S.A. then they wouldnt really fit since theyre from central America..... But they do have the same irridescent blue as a neon along their back and a little on their sides, plus bright red fins. I love mine and can't wait for the LFS to get more in. heres a link to a good pic and description... http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10tetra_colu...mbianredfin.htm

How about the Rummy Nose? I don't keep tetras yet, but when I do, I think it may be those. Pretty fish.

Does anyone know if Serpae and Angels have issues together? It would be cool to see Serpaes work in a community aquarium.

I would suggest Rummy Nosed Tetras to, great fish or maybe some Black Phantoms. :)

Phantoms are a good choice, I would go for the "round" tetras rather then the long thin ones, the Angels won't be able to swallow them.

Lateral Line said:
Phantoms are a good choice, I would go for the "round" tetras rather then the long thin ones, the Angels won't be able to swallow them.
Okay... phantoms look nice. How would Congo or Bleeding Heart tetras do? They look rounder like the shape you described.

Lateral Line said:
Yeah, the phantoms are really nice. I just got a few, and I love them!

Doggfather said:
not a tetra...but how about hatchets?
Oops... I see that I left hatchets off my initial list... they was supposed to be there. But I am specifically looking for a tetra variety too.

Most reactions

Back