Tetra - one or more types

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I would put in Black phantom tetras. Or Mosquito Rasboras, the mosquitos would be cool cos they would fill the space at the top of the tank. Or clown Killifish for that matter.
The planned Hatchets will fill that space I think. Those are such great fish.

Attachments

• 20211128_211016.jpg
    20211128_211016.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211128_211011.jpg
    20211128_211011.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 17
So, it has been over a year with the setup.
I increased some numbers, am quarantining few more hatchetfish as we speak to add to this tank but sometimes, when I look in the tank, especially comparing it with my other tank with the white cloud minnows, that never stand still, this tank is slow and maybe a tad boring.
The hatchetfish are static, the embers do tend to stay in one place and unless food is involved dont move that much, the sterbai corydoras are the same, resting unless food is involved.
Looking at the tank in the evening when not feeding is still nice, just a bit slow/not lively.
I was thinking about adding some other mid level fish, maybe not right away, though will have to consider my quarantine tank availability.

While I always wanted pencil fish, some of them are also static, like the eques, and that is not something I would want. I am also concerned about feeding them with their too small mouths, although I will have to do the live food small hatched things for my other fish, so it really shouldnt be a problem.
Maybe some larger fish with other than red colors would do well here

At this moment there are 40 embers, since I have had some losses, and sometimes it looks like the tank is completely empty, since they can hide in the plants if they feel like not doing anything
IMG-0498.jpg

I need to consider the new fish to not bother the hatchets, so I was thinking maybe:
Glowlight Tetra or Black neon tetra or maybe a Lemon tetra
There are not that many pencilfish available here and the usual suspects are red again, which maybe something I would like to avoid.

Also a side question, what if I went for some smaller livebearer. would the embers and the hatchetfish and heck maybe even the corydoras reduce the fry to a manageable level to not have overstocked tank?
I am not talking about guppies as they live too close to the surface to not bother the hatchets, but something else, like a Heterandria or something, I have to do some reading

Also a side question, what if I went for some smaller livebearer. would the embers and the hatchetfish and heck maybe even the corydoras reduce the fry to a manageable level to not have overstocked tank?
I am not talking about guppies as they live too close to the surface to not bother the hatchets, but something else, like a Heterandria or something, I have to do some reading

I cannot see it in this thread, but somewhere I think it was stated that your water is soft or very soft. That rules out all livebearers.

I changed my mind about the live-bearers anyway. I do have pretty soft water and i was aware guppy needed hard water, didn't realize it is true for most.
I think i narrowed it down to black neon or lemon tetra
Which would you pick?

The Lemon Tetra is more active swimming than the Black Neon. I can't believe these are the only options, esp in the Czech Republic.

The shop i will be visiting next week currently has:

Hemigrammus bleheri, Hyphessobrycon flammeus , phyocharax anisitsi , hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis, Moenkhausia pittieri, Hyphessobrycon sweglesi, Hyphessobrycon melanostichos, Phenacogrammus interruptus, Inpaichthys kerri , hayeria boehlkei, Hyphessobrycon eques, Hasemania nana, Paracheirodon innesi, Hyphessobrycon amandae , hyphessobrycon rosaceus, Hyphessobrycon rosaceus White Fin, Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, Pristella maxillaris , Metynnis hypsauchen, Moenkhausia costae, Prionobrama filigera, hemigrammus erythrozonus

But i want a mid level only fish, not larger than 4 cm, not bothering the hatchets and ideally, not red

I didn't find better picks our of these

Nope this is going to bug me for a while
Black neons wont do, I think I still have too bright light for them. Lemons are very finnicky, not sure if I want to go there. The glow tetra looks pretty much like the ember, same for the silver tip, also same body type, might be good to mix it up.
Reading about Royal tetras, as emperors wouldnt do (also are not available). I also looked at a diamond tetra and will read up on the black phantom tetra.
Will keep you posted, but suggestions are very welcome

I guess 20 rummynose tetras Hemigrammus bleheri makes the most sense.

This works here. I was thinking of the Diamond Tetra, since you want mid-level and non-red. I had this species for many years, in a 5-foot tank and then 4-foot. I started out with 8 or 8, and within a year I had 60+ beauties. They are prolific and in a well planted setup some fry will survive. A true beauty. My only concern is the hatchetfish, and I don't know the tank dimensions. Volume is one thing, but the length (and width to a lesser extent) are critical for active fish like the diamonds.

Diamonds were also in the run and they are available, but i would have to go like 4 males 10 females top and i got conflicting messages about the nipping too.
Tank is 120cm long and 50cm wide.
Not sure if i want to risk it

Copper Harlequins? Mid Level shoaling, peaceful, movement......The copper colour really pops in the Espei.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back