Tetra Has A Huge Chunk Out Its Body! Pics Included!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
One of my flame tetras appears to have been brutally mauled at some point. There is a chunk across almost half his body exposing his insides. Bullying between him and his other tetras seems unlikely as he's always been the biggest baddest alpha. I don't know whether to seperate him to another tank or not?
Here are pictures ( warning: graphic )

I'm Not sure what could have done it as the only things in there with him are kuhli loaches, otos, rummy nose and other flames. He may have whacked himself on a rock or something??

Please advise! The water in the tank is clean so Hoepfully there will be no infection.
I can isolate him if I need to bu the isolation tank may be not the best as it's small and never been used before and doesn't have a filter.

Whoa!
Ā 
It almost looks like he got whacked on a rock, I doubt a fish would do that..
Ā 
I'm not entirely sure what to do, how's he acting?

He's acting fine. Just dancing in front of the tank with the others. I don't want him to die, he's the leader of the pack and has been the most showy since day 1.

ouch! the poor lil fella. That's gotta be soreĀ 
no.gif

Ā 
I don't know what to suggest either really apart from keep an eye open for a tank bully and check your tank for any sharp objects. I really hope he survives but with a hole that large I'd say it's touch and goĀ 

I'm no disease expert, and rarely comment in such threads. Ā But from your information and the photos, I would think this is more likely a disease from within the fish. Ā I have seen something similar, and euthanized the fish. Ā To my knowledge, it never spread to other fish, but not knowing what it is, it may in time. Ā If this were me, I would consider removing the fish, but as for treatment, I've no idea.
Ā 
Byron.

Do you have a cover on your heater? It could be a fresh heater burn. To be safe isolate him and do daily water changes to keep the water clean and it may heal (Had a weather loach with a similar wound that healed just fine). Keep a close check daily for any fungus, if any appears you may need to use an antifungal medication.
Ā 
If it is a bacterial infection you would see the skin rot over time not overnight.

I don't think its the heater as I've used it for many years with no problems.
Byron, I thought that might be the case but surely the hole would slowly open up and not appear in the span of 6-8 hours? Everyone was fine before I went to bed last night. I see lil white things on the inside of the fish but I'm not sure if fungus or just innards? Doesn't really look like a fungus to me but I don't get to see fishy fungus often fortunately.
Checking on him this afternoon he definitely seems fine bar the hole in him. None of the other fish are bothering him. In the event of fungus or if he gets picked on I'll seperate him but til then I think I'll keep him in the tank with the others.
He ate fine this afternoon when I fed him.
I don't know much about fish anatomy, is the hole in him going to disallow him to digest food properly?

the 'white things' could be worms. Have they got swollen bellies? If in doubt - worm them

Are you sure this fish is male? it could be a female as it looks very rotund compared to the others I can see, perhaps she became egg bound and a wound appeared and the other fish ate her eggs from within? that's just another thing to throw in the mix, was also thinking could be heater burn or parasites, difficult to say, surprising that it is still swimming and acting normally
confused.gif
Ā Ā 

I dunno if it's male tbh. I'll have a closer look when the lights go on again to see if they're worms. Would the worms be free floating or attacked to the skin? Would they be wriggling or stayig still?

This morning I caught the other fish nibbling on hit guts so I've seperated him from the rest of the bunch with a net. He ate a pellet in there and hopefully he or she will feel safer now.

you actually saw a fish biting at his sore? This could be the fish responsible. If you know which fish it was I'd keep a really good close eye on it as if it is responsible it could well strike again.
Ā 
I'm willing this poorly lil fish to survive now

The one who pecked at the holey tetra was one eyed rummynose. He lost his eye in a feeding accident long time ago. Sounds like a cheesy action film to me :lol: . My tetras are a troubled bunch. They've had the tank to themselves for too long and now they think they're big and tough.

I had a one eyed harlequin for a while ... one eyed fish tend to be reasonably common so don't worry yourself too much. Sadly my harlequin struggled with only having the one eye - especially at feeding time and didn't survive for long after the eye was lost. I'm wondering if your rummynose is confusing other fish for food because of his eyesight.
Ā 
Keep a close watch on it ... it may or may not be the case but be mindful that the rummy is possibly the culprit. If it is you may be forced to either move it to a tank alone or euthanize it.
I say this because my Dad has a fish that has taken chunks out of all his other fish until she's killed them. Now he's in a situation where he can't add any new fish until she dies. I'm trying to convince him to 'knock her on the head' (I don't mean literally, I'm an advocate of the clove oil method) so he can re-stock his tank. Some fish are capable of murderĀ 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back