Terrarium for Carnivorous Plants and Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
This is a tank I built for my Carnivorous plants it had a waterfall running down from the top. The main fish were Hatchets that I was trying to spawn. Also it had Dwarf Rasboras that spawned continuously.
019.jpg

These are awesome. I have had a couple of tanks where the aquatic plants grew out of it but not done anything like this yet.

Just need a lot more space for tanks......

Ive done a teensy bit of research and someone I met that takes care of them and sells them told me, they shouldnt be kept in terrariums even though a lot of people do... because a lot of times it kills them quicker. I was surprised and asked him where they should be kept and he said to keep them in a nice size pot outside. He even said people keep them outside in Alaska by using mulch as insulation!!

The only view I seem to have of another setup that I built. That is an Amazon plant, and they are crypts in the front
View attachment 145828
So I have a few house plants myself and can start an African violets with a leaf and potting soil. The only plant that dies on me are the fly traps. In the lat ten or so years, I’ve tried to raise them and they all die. Yours are looking very lovely. So, what is the thing I’m missing.

So I have a few house plants myself and can start an African violets with a leaf and potting soil. The only plant that dies on me are the fly traps. In the lat ten or so years, I’ve tried to raise them and they all die. Yours are looking very lovely. So, what is the thing I’m missing.
Soft/ acid water. All my carnivorous plants are feed tank water. Carnivorous plants hate minerals and fertilizers. They come from peat bogs, my tanks have peat in them therefore they love that water.

@itiwhetu I love your terrariums. How do you deal with the venus flytrap in regards to a dormancy period? I have just purchased one at a local greenhouse then found out that it needs a dormancy period. Currently we grow one pitcher plant of unknown species, though it is a tropical one, and we have a couple of floating pots with Drosera rotundifolia, that have been growing in our outdoor ponds for years.

@itiwhetu I love your terrariums. How do you deal with the venus flytrap in regards to a dormancy period? I have just purchased one at a local greenhouse then found out that it needs a dormancy period. Currently we grow one pitcher plant of unknown species, though it is a tropical one, and we have a couple of floating pots with Drosera rotundifolia, that have been growing in our outdoor ponds for years.
Sorry for my slow reply. when I started out, I bought a couple of good books, they all said what I wanted to do wouldn't work. I set about proving them wrong. My terrariums are all set up in windows. I flood them with both natural and artificial light in summer, then in winter give them a half dose of artificial light. With the shorter days and less light they slow down. I never just wanted one species or another but wanted systems containing as many varieties as I could find. This is what I have achieved.

So to be clear your fly trap does not receive a dormant period. It continuously grows with the pitchers and the other plants. Your traps do not look like they are suffering at all, looks more like they are thriving. All the literature I have read suggests that they will slowly die without a dormant period

So to be clear your fly trap does not receive a dormant period. It continuously grows with the pitchers and the other plants. Your traps do not look like they are suffering at all, looks more like they are thriving. All the literature I have read suggests that they will slowly die without a dormant period
I know, they never completely go dominant, I should have mentioned there is a variation in temperature the terrariums get pretty hot in summer when the sun is on them and during winter, they get very little sunlight so are much cooler. The Venus fly traps produce small leaves during winter and then their large traps over summer

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back