Terrapin

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Terrapin

Reaction score
I've had two terrapins for a few months now, and they've been great. But now one of them isn't eating anymore, and isn't as active either. It tends just to sit up on the rock most of the time , and has started to object to eating... can u please help me?! :/

Is the water heated and do they have a light to bask under?
What are you feeding them and are they just babies?

Is the water heated and do they have a light to bask under?
What are you feeding them and are they just babies?
The water is heated and no they don't have a light - do they need 1? They're baby terrapins and i've been feeding them basic Turtle and Terrapin complete food from the pet store

A UV bulb is very VERY essential when keeping any kind of chenolia. It depends on the kind of turtle you've got. As you called them terripins I'm guessing you've either got a red eared slider or a map turtle so it might be worth checking pics and caresheets to make sure. They need UV light because of something to do with A their shell and B their digestion. I don't know the exact science but that was what I learnt when reading about for my turtle.

Try to get some live or forzen food on their diet... Dry food is all well and good but should not be fed as their whole diet. Turts love bloodworm and beefheart in my experience. Also they need some green food stuffs in their diet so it might be worth finding out exactly what kind you have before figuring out which greens to feed it.

Hope this helps :)

The Terrapins are yellow bellys and do you know any websites that i could get more information on?

I'd definately try bloodworm. One of my map turtles loves chasing them and eating them - he doesn't care or perhaps notice that they're freeze-dried when the water current moves them. You can often buy bags of live bloodworm for about £0.50 from LFS's.

You could try hatchling turtle food which is much the same stuff, but in smaller pieces. Try offering some vegetables (shredded carrot, finely chopped lettuce leaves - NOT iceberg lettuce though) or diced apple.

The UVB light when absorbed by the chelonian is used to break down calcium and synthesise vitamin D3. It prevents metabolic bone disease (bones bend and become weak). UV light apparently also helps with increase their appetite.

If they're kept in an aquarium with fluorescent bulb fittings then you can buy a reptisun or reptiglo (by Zoo-med and Hagen) tube to fit into the existing fitting. If not you can buy a UVB bulb that looks like an energy saving bub to fit a standard light fitting. You also need and incandescent (normal or reflector) bulb to provide heat for them.

I suppose stress could be the problem. Is he being bullied? Have you examined his shell for fungus or shell-rot? Apparently RI (respiratory infection) can cause turtles and terrapins to stay out of the water. If you're handling them a lot or there's loads of activity near their tank try quieting things down and leaving them alone.

Hope that helps,
Ian.

Try googling "yellow bellied turtle care sheet" or "yellow bellied slider" care sheet and you should get plenty of info :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back