Tannins.. How Long Can You "drag" Them Out?

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
6,754
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
BARRY,s.wales
i put oak in Bo`s tank,actually only because MHA didnt have any bogwood, didnt really like the look of it , but ive now planted it with java fern and love it :hyper: ( and he hasnt touched it :D )

i love the look of tannins in a tank, makes for a much more natural look i think, so anyway how many water changes do you think i could expect to see it for? given the fact that i didnt soak only scrubbed it before adding it,will they leak longer than bogwood do you think?
if i remember correctly i got away with about 8 weeks when i added mopani wood

thanks :)
shelagh xxx
 
it took me 4 weeks of water change =|

but i want it back :(
 
You know, if you like the look you can always add a few oak leaves to your tank.
 
if u get sick off that look in the tank (it looks like someone spelt tea in it lol) u can easily:

1) take it out of the tank
2) preboil a pot full of water over a med heat for a couple of minutes
3) wait until it bubbles
4) put the wood in
5) boil for 20 mins
6) replace water
7) wait for another 10 mins or so

and there u have it :D i know this coz i had to soke out the tannins for a coconut cave
cheers
 
Maybe add some of that blackwater stuff to the filter? Not my cup of tea (geddit ;)), I was so glad when the almond leaf in my betta tank stopped leaching.
 
My bog wood (granted, a pretty big pile) is still colouring the water in my 90L community 2 or 3 months on. I'm bored of the look now though, am toying with removing the bog wood.
 
I boiled my two pieces of wood for about 30-40 min each and they are still leaking tannins (i've had the wood in the tank for about 6 weeks now). But like you said it does make for a more natural look so i'm not bothered by it at all
 
I boiled mine for 2 hours in a turkey fryer filled with water outside. Soaked it in a bucket for 24 hours and it did not leak any tannins into my aquarium.
 
If only I could give you my tannins!!!!!!!

Despite numerous boils in pots, rinses through the dishwasher, soakings etc, my small piece of bogwood is leeching like there's no tomorrow. Its been in my tank for four months. I hate it, but love the piece of wood I've got as it has a perfectly sized hole in the middle for one of my plants to sit in. It looks astically pleasing despite the water looking like stewed tea!
 
I never had any trouble with bogwood leaching colour. I soaked both pieces of mine (one medium-sized, one massive) for 12 hours each in the bath before putting them in the tank. They never leached in the bath water and they never leached in the tank. Weird. Maybe it's something to do with the water in Hull, it's harder than all hell :P
 
You know what - my wood still leaches coz the bristlenose keeps munching on it and exposing a new layer of wood to the water.

I think it does colour less instantly as it gets older - but still reaches a set concentration. i.e. when I first had the wood in my tank, it had the tanniny colour after only 2 days, now it takes 5 days.
 
JBL do a product called Tourmec which is basically peat pellets to put in an external filter, DEFINATELY leaches tannins! My tanks gone so greeny yellow the plants all look a bit disguised! Need to do a water change though. I am so sick of customers saying 'my that tank is very dirty... you can hardly see those poor discus fish through the dirty water!'.... grrr!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top