Tankmates With Figure Eight Puffers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goggy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Erika (my figure eight puffer) has a big 20-gallon tank to herself for a while now. i know its best for her to have no tankmates but it looks awfully lonely in that tank. Suggestions? Thanks!
goggy

BTW: i am really leaning towards a school of danios and a hogchoker or snowflake flounder or a orange chromide or a knight goby, how does that sound?

im no expert but i know that puffers are aggressive, ive wanted a F8 puffer for a long time myself if it were me i would probably keep mine with bumblebee gobies as i hear they can be good tankmates for a F8 puffer id also make sure theres plenty of cover and hidey places in the tank too just too minimize the chance of the puffer attacking tank mates, also i would say its best not to keep danio in brackish water but the others im not sure about i dont know a lot about what are suitable tank mates but most people say just keep them by themselves or providing there is enough space another Figure 8 puffer
smile.png

however im sure somebody else here will have more info on suitable tank mates! 

As above..F8 are brackish so you are limited to what you can keep with them. In a big enough tank; well planted to break up line of site you could keep more than one puffer; but there is a reason why they are kept alone!!
My puffer has a 90 liter tank to himself so you have about double that; so you maybe able to get away with another one...I'd try and get one around the same size as your existing one though.
Word of caution; they do stress quite easily around other fish so adding another fish of any type might do more harm than good.

Personally I like to keep them in low brackish species tank. But I've seen them kept with monos if the tank is large enough. Mexican sailfin molly are fast and aggressive enough that it might be possible and they can be kept in the brackish conditions as well. 

So, those are two possible choices I think would do okay but still I think it's a fish best kept in a species tank. I also think you will get more enjoyment out of the puffer that way. They are very smart fish and when you are their focus the interaction is very rewarding.

tcamos said:
Personally I like to keep them in low brackish species tank. But I've seen them kept with monos if the tank is large enough. Mexican sailfin molly are fast and aggressive enough that it might be possible and they can be kept in the brackish conditions as well. 

So, those are two possible choices I think would do okay but still I think it's a fish best kept in a species tank. I also think you will get more enjoyment out of the puffer that way. They are very smart fish and when you are their focus the interaction is very rewarding.
Yes, because i also keep them in low brackish tanks. Zebra danios can survive fine in low brackish, but the question is are they compatible with F8 puffers? sailfin mollies will eventually bully the puffer which is no good. 

nigsy said:
As above..F8 are brackish so you are limited to what you can keep with them. In a big enough tank; well planted to break up line of site you could keep more than one puffer; but there is a reason why they are kept alone!!
My puffer has a 90 liter tank to himself so you have about double that; so you maybe able to get away with another one...I'd try and get one around the same size as your existing one though.
Word of caution; they do stress quite easily around other fish so adding another fish of any type might do more harm than good.
F8 are not full brackish. They naturally live in freshwater conditions, but they do best in a low brackish tank around 7.6-7.8 pH. a 8.0 pH is (what i believe) the most saltinity a F8 can tolerate. I will definetly not add another puffer. i know that when they are adults F8s will eventually kill each other because of territory space. I believe that F8s can live in 15 gallon tanks at the least. if i were to add another one i would get a 30 gallon aquarium. also, you have a 20 gallon tank too 90 litres = 20 gallons.

kylealastairlove said:
im no expert but i know that puffers are aggressive, ive wanted a F8 puffer for a long time myself if it were me i would probably keep mine with bumblebee gobies as i hear they can be good tankmates for a F8 puffer id also make sure theres plenty of cover and hidey places in the tank too just too minimize the chance of the puffer attacking tank mates, also i would say its best not to keep danio in brackish water but the others im not sure about i dont know a lot about what are suitable tank mates but most people say just keep them by themselves or providing there is enough space another Figure 8 puffer
smile.png

however im sure somebody else here will have more info on suitable tank mates! 
I have read that danios can live happily in pH levels of 7.0-8.0 My 20 gallon is not heavily planted, and so, bumblebee gobies will eventually be eaten by the puffer. (i have had 3 gobies with an F8 before, the gobies got demolished because the tank didnt have enough hidey places)

Nigsy, (i am not trying to be a jerk) it looks like you have a Green Spotted Puffer in a 90 litre; these puffers grow to 6inches and are heavy bodied fish. I would try rehoming it in a 120 litre because these puffers cannot live in a tank that small; other than that, your green spotted is in perfect tank condition!

I don't have experience keeping the danio with a puffer. My guess (or fear) is that they would end up like your bumble bee goby. 

tcamos said:
I don't have experience keeping the danio with a puffer. My guess (or fear) is that they would end up like your bumble bee goby. 
I have read that puffers do fine with fish an inch smaller than them, dont bother them and are constantly active so the puffer cant nip the fins. I reckon the danios will just swim around the tank while the puffer is busy exploring/playing. Also, Bumblebees are awfully small and less active compared to danios so i predict a different outcome than lunch. 

I think it largely depends on the puffer. If they get bored they go exploring with their teeth. If he's got a tank that interests him he's likely to be happy bouncing around it. It will be interesting to learn how things turn out. Keep us updated. It's always interesting to discover new tankmates.

Ok then, so i am at boarding school right now and will go home at friday so i will probably add 6, 2 inch danios. i am going to get 2 feeding rings so both fish types can feed in their own areas Excited to see outcome.

Goggy said:

Nigsy, (i am not trying to be a jerk) it looks like you have a Green Spotted Puffer in a 90 litre; these puffers grow to 6inches and are heavy bodied fish. I would try rehoming it in a 120 litre because these puffers cannot live in a tank that small; other than that, your green spotted is in perfect tank condition!

Cheers - Really didn't realise they grew that big - They were advertised at only getting to 2 inches!!
He's in a low brackish and only eats fresh food we catch / pick up in the garden - guess I'll get a larger tank for him!!
Advice taken.

nigsy said:

Cheers - Really didn't realise they grew that big - They were advertised at only getting to 2 inches!!
He's in a low brackish and only eats fresh food we catch / pick up in the garden - guess I'll get a larger tank for him!!
Advice taken.

Your welcome!
Have a look at this site http://www.ehow.com/how_5153578_raise-green-spotted-puffer-fish.html

so, i have done some research and, if i were to add danios they would boost up the amonia increase which is no good for my puffer, second the tank is to small to house 6 danios and a puffer as the feeding space is very limited (the danios will also steal puffer food) and finally danios are way to boisterous tankmates. Haha no more danios for me! 
applaud.gif.gif

Good choice. You're a good example to others. Research is so important in this hobby. It leads to wise choices. Good job to you!

tcamos said:
Good choice. You're a good example to others. Research is so important in this hobby. It leads to wise choices. Good job to you!
Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back