Tankmates For N. Brevis, 29g.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Could anybody recommend tankmates for N. Brevis in my 29g? I don't have the fish yet, and I'm not getting them for a few months, but I want to have it planned out. :)

I did some quick research for ya! You can determine if it'll work or not :good:

Temperament and compatibility
N. brevis are about the most peaceful shell dwellers around. They cannot hold their own and will often be picked on by larger more robust Lamprologines in a Tanganyikan Community set up. Large robust fish like N. brichardi, N. leleupi, and larger Altolamprologus species will bully these little guys.

Here are some compatible species:

Cyprichromis spp.
These fish are small and peaceful and will not bother shell dwellers since the Cyprichromis school (and even breed!!!) in the upper levels of the tank. The shell dwellers are only concerned with the bottom of the tank.
Altolamprologus sp.
Sumbu dwarf: This is like a miniature shell dwelling A. compressiceps. You get all the enjoyment of having Altolamprologus with your tiny shell dweller without the possibility of it one day trying to eat him. This species rarely exceeds 3" and is somewhat docile. But be warned he's still an Altolamprologus so don't expect to see the Brevis fry if you don't remove them. Just like their larger congeners, THEY LOVE FRY!!!!!!!
Julidochromis Transcriptus
This is the smallest of the Julidochromis species only reaching 2½" / 5-6 cm. They make good tank mates for Brevis.
Neolamprologus cylindricus
This is one of the more peaceful of the larger Neolamprologines.

---------------
Here's an example
If you wanted three pairs (groups) of fish:
• 'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis, multifasciatus, melegaris, ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus,similis, Neolamprologus signatus, Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps Shell"
• Neolamprologus caudopunctatus (non-Shellies)
• Julidiochromis ornatus or transcriptus
• Telmatochromis bifrenatus, brichardi or vittatus
• Paracyprichromis nigripinnis,
• Xenotilapia flavipinnis
------------
Or this:
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps pair
and one of:
• 'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis, multifasciatus, melegaris, ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus, similis or Neolamprologus signatus
Normally one would get six young individuals of these fish, and remove the balance of the fish once they have a pair. If you wanted three pairs (groups) of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back