Tank Upgrade - Complete Revamp

Would it be daft to assume that a 4ft tank with a the standard lid that hasn't been changed since purchase would be 48" tubes?

Possibly, but more likely (from what others have said on here) with two tubes it is more likely to be 24 inch tubes, so 48-inch in effect but only one. Two 48-inch would be workable if that is what it turns out to be.

If they are only 24-inch, that is really pushing your luck for decent light. Depending upon the fixture, it might be worth doing the repair I mentioned previously, of buying a dual-tube 48-inch shop light and inserting that in the housing. I found that these would fit with a squeeze, but it depends what sort of housing this one has.

There is another option of course, and that is aquascaping an authentic tropical stream habitat. Most streams and creeks in South America and SE Asia have few or no plants. You could have sand, a lot of chunks of wood, some branches (you can collect these safely) for your main aquascape, then for plants stay with floating and cover the surface. Being under the light, the floating plants would do OK. The tank would be dimly lit, very authentic and the fish would shine.

Ok, I guess I'll have to wait until I correct the tank, was supposed to be tonight but with the snow and the fact my street is more like an ice rink than a road, I decided carrying a glass tank probably wasn't a good idea, hopefully tomorrow evening though, or maybe Friday!

I think I'll steer away from the Loaches and stick with the Cory's. Do I need to worry about the bristlenose plecs I have with the quantity of Cory's I put into the tank?
BNs and Corys are fine together. I'm guessing you already know that BNs are territorial and can be quite aggressive to each other - so make sure their needs are met.

Oh and don't panic. One of my c paleatus has chosen the same cave as my BN and one side of it is the glass wall so I get a good view. I used to worry that the Cory was being squashed but both are perfectly fine with the arrangement. With a little imagination it looks like a baby cuddling up to its mummy :friends:

BNs and Corys are fine together. I'm guessing you already know that BNs are territorial and can be quite aggressive to each other - so make sure their needs are met.

I was told BNs are quite peaceful and to not worry about them. I've not had any issues with them fighting, they just seem to keep to themselves more than anything. Rare that I see then.

A bit of research says that the older Roma 240 (if that is indeed what the tank is) used 2 x 38w T8 fluorescent tubes which are 1050mm long (41.3 inches). Of course brand new ones now come with LED lights!

http://aqadvisor.com/ go here for stocking simulations and testing, it's a really good utility.

you can't assume anything when it comes to light units, it could be any size, T8's are more than enough to grow any low tech plant you want, just have to make sure you get bulbs in a 4000 kelvin to 8000 kelvin spectrum, preferably 6500k as that is the closest to daylight, make sure not to get marine bulbs above 10000k as they will enduce rapid algae growth.

Cool tool. Hadn't come across that one before.

One just has to keep in mind that this tool is comparable to the inch of fish per gallon "rule." A sort-of good start, but only a start. I guess it is impossible to factor in all the aspects that must be considered when deciding on stocking any aquarium. It is much more than mere biomass, and while some of the factors are programmed in, others are not. Nothing beats human thinking after research.

That tool is actually quite advanced byron, it takes into account the total cubed measurement of the fish, and the filtration method, also it highlights incompatibilities in tank size and fish suitability, very good for a simple calculator.

Right, so I've got my tank tonight. I've measured the tubes that are in there already, they are around 41 inch.

Also, I've attached a photo, these are what I thought were serpea tetras but I'm not too certain now. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20180301_224044_01_01.jpg
    IMG_20180301_224044_01_01.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 91
Right, so I've got my tank tonight. I've measured the tubes that are in there already, they are around 41 inch.

Also, I've attached a photo, these are what I thought were serpea tetras but I'm not too certain now. Thoughts?

Light first. This is good. The tube I would recommend is the Hagen Life-Glo T8. There is a 107 cm (42 inch) at 40 watts which is likely the one required. If you can find a store locally that carries these, you might be able to try one (sometimes stores will allow you to return if they don't fit). Two obviously. I use this tube on all my single-tube tanks because frankly there is simply none better for colour rendition, intensity and spectrum.

I believe you are in the UK so I don't know how common the Hagen "Glo" series is; just make sure they are T8, not T5 which they also manufacture but which won't fit T8.

There are other tubes in this series, some terrible, some less so. I tried the Sun-Glo once, in combo with a Life-Glo, but it didn't impress me. Do NOT get the Aqua-Glo nor the Power-Glo. The Flora-Gro might work in combo, I have not tried this one in the series. It will lessen the intensity though, and over this tank the two Life-Glo will provide more light (but not too much). So I would recommend two Life-Glo.

Now the Serpae Tetra. I cannot tell much from the photo; here is some data I wrote on this species.

This species is closely related to some 30 Hyphessobrycon species known as the rosy tetra clade that includes H. bentosi, H. rosaceus, H. megalopterus [Black Phantom], H. sweglesi and H. erythrostigma ["bleeding hearts"] to name but a few. It shares the common traits of a black dorsal fin and a dark (in this species black) humeral or shoulder blotch immediately posterior of the gillcover, and (usually) a red body colouration. The shade of red varies on fish from different geographical regions. The dorsal is edged in white. This species is readily discerned from all the other rosy tetra species by the dark colour pattern on the posterior part of the anal fin that expands from the black distal (furtherest from the body) border of this fin. Weitzman & Palmer (1997) note that this dark pattern is somewhat variable on wild-caught specimens from different locations.

Many of the fish now available in the hobby are commercially raised and differ from wild-caught fish with respect to the dark shoulder or humeral patch. [I cannot discern one on the fish in your photo.] Commercially bred fish are descended from hybrids (perhaps unintentionally) of fish from different geographical areas, and the patch is shorter or all but absent on most; on wild-caught fish, this patch is black, elongate and slightly triangular.

This fish has gone through several name changes, being placed in four different genera before being assigned to Hyphessobrycon by Weitzman & Palmer (1997). Within this genus, the names H. callistus and H. serpae are now recognized as synonyms of H. eques and not valid distinct species; fish still appear in stores under these synonyms.

Behaviour can be unpredictable; keeping the species in large groups and in larger tanks tends to lessen its aggressiveness. This variant behaviour, like the anal fin pattern mentioned above, may also partly be due to significant variations between the fish. Dr. Stanley Weitzman (1997) has suggested that the "species" may be a complex of closely related species that are geographically quite variable and occur over a wide area of Amazonia; it is quite possible that this "species" may actually be several different species, each endemic to specific river basins; this will only be ascertained after collections from many locations have been studied in detail.

If the store labelled these as Serpae, or Red Minor, they probably are H. eques. They do not make good tankmates for slow, sedate fish or those with longer fins, as this species will very readily fin nip other fish to death. How many do you have? It might be an idea to leave these out.

those look like serpaes to me, ive kept them before, they are like the devils fish, super aggressive and will bite chunks out of other fishes fins, best kept alone or with plecostamus in my opinion.

Ok, so firstly lights - Thank you, I'll try and find them and let you know, but yes, I'm in England.

Secondly - Serpea tetras; I'll rehome these along with the Clown Loaches.

The tubes that come with the tank should have writing on them somewhere giving the watts. You need the same watts of Life-Glo. If in doubt, take an old tube with you - or at least measure the old one and take a tape measure with you - and compare the length. I discovered years ago that some brands include the pins in the quoted length and some don't which makes a difference of a couple of cm in the quoted length.

Any bulb in a 6500k spectrum with a length of 41.3 inches will work, you don't HAVE to buy pet bulbs.

But i have had a look where i bought my tubes from before (www.lamspecs.co.uk) and those measurements in a daylight spectrum just arent available to buy in a cheaper tube im afraid, look at arcadia and juwel they make the best "pet" bulbs, and they do sizes that will fit your light bar.

Most reactions

Back