Tank Temperature

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bobsyouruncle

Reaction score
I have a 30 gal. tank I set up for my grandson.  The room where the tank resides tends to be warm in the summer months.  I know the temp of the water should be about 75 degrees but as of now it has risen to 78 degrees.  Is this safe or should I try to cool it down?  If I should cool it, should it be done by adding cold water or some by other means?

Thanks for your help.

They'll probably say to add cold water slowly. I have two tanks - one 30g and one 18g, and in the summer months when it's 80 degrees in the house my 18g will get up to 80F and my 30g will stay the same temperature.

Do you have any fish that require that lower temperature of water? There are also water coolers just like water heaters out there on the market if you foresee a long hot summer ahead.

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! A little information about your tank would be useful. Fish population with numbers, water test results, equipment.
In general I would say as long as the temperature does not fluctuate too quickly then the fish will probably cope with the changes in temperature over the course of the day. Keep your tank heater set at 75° in case the dip at night goes below that.
Fish in the wild will be used to seasonal and diurnal temperature changes but our domestic- bred ones may not have been exposed to it before. Are they gasping at the surface? That can be a sign if the oxygen is being depleted due to the rise in temperature. You could increase aeration in the tank if that happens.
If you feel the fish are badly affected by the rise in temperature, you can put some clean small bottles of water 50-100ml in the freezer and pop them in the tank. However they won't last for long so another alternative is having a fan blowing against the tank wall to help cool it down. The fish will move to the temperature zone they are happier with.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back