Tank Stocking Take 2, Being Realistic This Time!

Ed Green

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
168
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bristol
Hello
I posted yesterday with the stock I would have liked for my little 35ltre tank, however it looks like I was aiming a bit high!

I have thoroughly read through the recommended stock for small tanks link but can anyone offer any other suggestions.

I am looking for a shoal of something small and a centrepiece fish, something a bit interesting. I would have loved a Blue Ram but will give up on that until I can upgrade to a bigger tank.


So,

a) A suitable attractive small shoaling fish I can get 5 or 6 of?

And

b) Something a little bit bigger and impressive to be my centre piece. I know my tank is small so I don’t mean BIG.


The help everyone has offered so far has been awesome, thanks a lot!
 
How about Honey Gouramies and a shoal of Dwarf Rasbora?

HI Stang - love dwarf Rasbora - especially the emerald eye variety - good call.

Not sure I love Honey Gouramies although I have never seen one in real life. Will pop into my LFS and see if they have any.

Thanks for posting!
 
If you want colour, then go for the Red Honey Gouramies as they are stunning.
If you want something a little more muted then go for Golden Honey Gouramies.
As well as Dwarf Rasbora, you could try something like Ember Tetras or Endlers.
 
If you want colour, then go for the Red Honey Gouramies as they are stunning.
If you want something a little more muted then go for Golden Honey Gouramies.
As well as Dwarf Rasbora, you could try something like Ember Tetras or Endlers.


Thanks Stang - your being very helpful.

I might be totally wrong but from pictures the honey gouramies look a bit too much like goldfish for my taste.

Do you think a betta would live happily with a shoal of Rasbora and perhaps a peaceful bottom dweller?
 
You are more than welcome. ;)
It could work but unfortunately, it is all trial and error. As many people will tell you, Bettas can be very temperamental and most prefer having a tank to themselves. The biggest problem is getting the correct water flow in your tank. Bettas prefer little or no movement in the water whereas most fish prefer a good current.
If you were to try it, you would be best adding the Betta last as they can be territorial. Some people have had success using this method and you may be one of the lucky ones! You'll need to have a back up plan for the Betta if it doesn't work out eg. a spare tank or rehoming him.
As for bottom dwellers, you could try Pygmy Cories but again, they need good filtration and plenty of oxygen.
It might also be worth having a read of this to give you an idea of stocking:

Stocking a 10 Gallon
 
If you want colour, then go for the Red Honey Gouramies as they are stunning.
If you want something a little more muted then go for Golden Honey Gouramies.
As well as Dwarf Rasbora, you could try something like Ember Tetras or Endlers.


Thanks Stang - your being very helpful.

I might be totally wrong but from pictures the honey gouramies look a bit too much like goldfish for my taste.

Do you think a betta would live happily with a shoal of Rasbora and perhaps a peaceful bottom dweller?



Ed,
Give the Honey Gouramis a chance. Like a lot of fish, they can look unimpressive in the LFS's tanks. But give them a couple of hours in a planted tank at home and they can look spectacular.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top