Tank Sizes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
I get to set up another tank next month. I want to get a 20 long but I just found out, to my amazement , that a 29 gallon is the same size except six inches deeper. Now I think that's the way to go. How do you who have 29's like them ? I have to move and set it up all by myself. I have nobody to help me. Are they heavy or ungainly ? The added amount of water with the same size footprint appeals to me. Maybe I could have Angelfish .

No angelfish in a 29...still too small, unfortunately. But 29's are my favorite sized tank for a small, manageable tank. You can still get a nice centerpiece fish, a nice sized school or two, and some bottom feeders and make it look great.

I get to set up another tank next month. I want to get a 20 long but I just found out, to my amazement , that a 29 gallon is the same size except six inches deeper. Now I think that's the way to go. How do you who have 29's like them ? I have to move and set it up all by myself. I have nobody to help me. Are they heavy or ungainly ? The added amount of water with the same size footprint appeals to me. Maybe I could have Angelfish .
I have 2 20G long’s in service right now. My 29G has been in storage for almost a year.

Last edited:
I concur, angelfish are not an option. But this is one of my favourite sized tanks, I got a second i liked the first so much. I too was initially considering a 20g long (intended a SE Asian biotope with small gourami) but got the 29g which is the same footprint but gives you the additional space volume wise. Tanks that are 12 inches in width (front to back) can be a bit restricting, but this one seems not to show this as much as for example my 3-foot 33g which is the same width.

I got both of mine from Petsmart. They had the tank and a hood with a 24-inch T8 fluorescent light fixture which was exactly what I wanted. Not a lot of light, especially with floating plants, but for forest fish (the sort this tank accommodates nicely) this is all the light you need. A Life-Glo 6500K 20w (24-inch) T8 tube is the only light for this tank as it has a bit more intensity than any other, and good colour rendition.

Photos below are of this sized tank. The last is the SE Asian beginning, with Chocolate Gourami and Boraras brigittae, but the Wisteria soon fell apart due to insufficient light. The swords have done OK.

Attachments

• 29g Aug 2-15.JPG
    29g Aug 2-15.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 29g Feb 14-16.JPG
    29g Feb 14-16.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 29g June 30-2019.JPG
    29g June 30-2019.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 29g Aug 16-16.JPG
    29g Aug 16-16.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 73
Id highly recommend a 29G, i love mine :) Its not going to be much heavier than the 20 long for you and it will give you more options for stocking and ideally more room for your fish to swim freely

No brainer ;)

I have 2 20G long’s in service right now. My 29G has been in storage for almost a year.
I’m sorry, had to help my sister who is a stroke victim check out at Walmart earlier and didn’t mean to send my reply yet. So, back to subject...I have held onto my 29G instead of selling it because I really like it. As most of you know, I have been trying to decide what to stock it with for quite some time. I am planning after the Holidays to move one of my 20G long stock over to the 29G as the 20 tank is getting overstocked. I love both tanks but you do get the added space in the 29G. However, I will say the 29G is heavier and harder for me, as a woman, to handle. In fact, I can’t handle it alone. The 20G weighs 25 lbs and 29G weighs 40lbs dry weight.

I had two angle fish in my 55 gallon tank many years ago. I had them for at least 5-6 years and one grew to 6 inches across the other 4. Beautiful fish but I would get a tall tank with plenty of room. I would prefer at least a 40 gallon tall tank to give them room to swim. If you go with something small at least have a tall tank for them to grow in.

@Byron your tanks are exquisite. Very beautiful pictures and your aquascaping and decor are superb. You have a very good eye. Madame' @Deanasue thank you for that weight information. I think I can handle 40 pounds. Two inches deeper and six inches longer than a 20 high. I think I'm going to go with the 29. Also, @Byron thank you for that tip on the lighting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back