Tank Size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GEARZ

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and i thought i should join because i recently got into keeping fish. I have always admired these pets and can be entertained for a long time just by watching these mysterious creatures. Anyways, I really want to try and breed swordtails, they are very easy fish to take care of and apparently easy to mate. After doing research I keep noticing a pattern.. all these fish owners breed fish in 5-20 gallon tanks! Now I just recently became a college student and I am limited to what tank size I can keep. So i brought with me my 1 gallon tank I kept 3 small guppies in awhile back. So here's my main point: Is a 1 gallon tank too small for two swordtails? Will this affect them negatively? Thank you for your time.
additional info: currently i have one male swordtail and a guppy living in it right now but am going to get a female swordtail soon. the guppy isnt doing too well by the looks of it and i have no idea why no research will help.

Yes it is too small. A 1 gallon tank is too small for any fish.

Your guppy is probably dying because the tank size is too small :/ you should buy like a 30L tank (about 8 us gal), I have one and it isn't particularly large and it's a perfect little tank if you're limited on space. You can then put a filter & heater in it and decorate it. They say 1 inch of fish per US gal, but its just a guide, sometimes you need more i think.

As has been said, one gallon is too small for any fish swordtails can get to 4 inches long & need a 3 ft tank.
Don't get any more fish & look to rehome the ones you have until you can get a bigger tank with a filter & heater

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back