Tank Size For Tiger Barb Shoal Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DWC

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I now have all small tanks, 10gal or less for Bettas and would like a shoal (6-12?) of Tiger Barbs in a new tank but space is an issue. Would a 20gal long suffice for them alone, with maybe some Cory's or Oto's? Since so much importance is given to surface area, is a 29 gal much better as both the 20gal and 29gal have the same footprint, the 29 just being taller (and heavier)? Their 30" length is about the maximum I can wedge in my den. Should I just stick with species with smaller requirements?

A 20 long or 29g would be fine, at least according to THIS. It's up to you on if you would rather stick to smaller species..there are plenty of small and beautiful fish!

I'd keep an eye on them nipping the cories or ottos but since they stick to different areas of the tank it could be alright, especially if you keep a good size group of tigers.

A word of caution:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/379714-bottom-dwellers/?p=3181164

fluttermoth said:
Me and Tizer have both tried to keep cories with tiger barbs and it just didn't work; mine were too shy of the tigers and would come out only to feed (and I have two dozen tigers); Tizer's cories had their dorsal fins nipped, so I'd say it's not worth the risk.

I keep zebra loaches and a couple of plecs with my tigers now, and that works very well.

A minimum for a decent shoal of tigers ( needs to be huge or they bully relentlessly ) a 30 gallon with 12-15 tiger barbs is what I reccomend.

i have 10 tiger barbs in a 30 gallon. i also have albino cories in with them. i did notice fin nipping but i added some hiding places and things seem better. i only usually have a problem at feeding time as the tiger barbs are hungry little creatures and try to steal the shrimp pellets from the cories and kuhli loaches.

I keep my barbs in with corys, cichlids and a gourami, they are pretty occupied amongst themselves most of the time, I have a group of 13 in my 50 gallon. With tiger barbs the most important thing is to keep them in groups of 8 or more, and give them adequate space. I have NEVER seen them bully or even initiate an interaction with another fish. I would say that 30" tank will be good for 10-12 tigers. Get some of the larger cory species, like sterbai, maybe abou 6-8 of them and grow them out a little before putting the tiger barbs in. Otos should be fine as well, this is going to be a planted tank right?

The only problem you might encounter is that the barbs might finish all the food before any hits the ground for the corys. When they are full sized, a shoal can consume a considerable amount of food. You can get around this by feeding a little bit at night to make sure the corys get full as well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back