Tank Setup

Thesalmonyellow

Reaction score
Hi,

Just setting up my 240l tank and had a couple of questions which I have been unable to find answers for... I intend to have a community tank with live plants using an external filter.

1. Filter media - the tank came with 3 sponges, spindly plastic things and ceramic rings. Shall I use all of these? If so how many ceramic rings do I need? I have got quite a few!
2. Ammonia - where can I buy this? I have tried a couple of pet shops, asda walmart and even a chemist! Anyone know anywhere online where I can buy a bottle?
3. Plants- at what stage of the cycle process is it best to add some plants?

Apologies if you have answered these questions a million times before!

Cheers

Hi,

Just setting up my 240l tank and had a couple of questions which I have been unable to find answers for... I intend to have a community tank with live plants using an external filter.

1. Filter media - the tank came with 3 sponges, spindly plastic things and ceramic rings. Shall I use all of these? If so how many ceramic rings do I need? I have got quite a few!
2. Ammonia - where can I buy this? I have tried a couple of pet shops, asda walmart and even a chemist! Anyone know anywhere online where I can buy a bottle?
3. Plants- at what stage of the cycle process is it best to add some plants?

Apologies if you have answered these questions a million times before!

Cheers

1) Filter media is personal choice but you have Sponges, Bio balls (plastic things) i assume, ceramic rings, use all of them mate :good: of you have carbon sponges, you can also add filter wool at the end to "polish" the water and remove all the small bits that will float in the water and having been picked up through out the filter process.

2) For amomonia check here pal "WHERE TO BUY AMMONIA IN THE UK OR US"

3) Plants - would personally wait untill you have cycled your tank and then add your plants, others may disagree

Most reactions

Back