Tank Running, But Have Fish.....um

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jenny6165

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
as some of you know, i got my new tank about 2 weeks ago. its a jewel rio 125 tropical tank.
well, we left it a week to settle like the shop said, and after seeking advice on here about cycling, i had decided to do a fishless cycle.
however, my OH wanted to do it the way the fish shop said, which was to do a fish cycle with hardy fish. so he went and got some.
so we now have 5 zebra danios.
im really worried its all going to go pear shaped.
theyve been in there a week now, ive done an ammonia reading and its at 0.25.
should i be doing the other readings too? sounds like a stupid question but ive not tested the nitrite and nitrate yet.

wot should i do?
if we go by the pet shop advice they would have said start slowly adding more fish tomorrow (a week after getting the other fish), however im not sure if this is a good idea.
from what i can tell, i shud be waiting until the ammonia reading has dropped to 0ppm?

help!

5 danios should be enough to cycle a 33 gallon tank, so I would leave it at that for the time being. Just keep testing once a day for ammonia and nitrites. Whenever either of these goes over 0.5 ppm do a partial water change, at first this may be as often as once a day. Once you can go for a week without water changes and still have zero readings of ammonia and nitrites, you can start adding more fish. But go slowly. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back