tank of doom

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lewis100c

Reaction score
This is a tale to make your blood run cold, six goldfish are dead in the tank of doom (normally known as a Nemo Fish tank). My six year old won a fish from the fair - as they do, we went to our local garden centre and got a "suitable" tank, more fish and made the usual beginners mistakes. Some weeks passed, more fish were put to death in the attempt to cycle the tank.
Having given up on cycling with live fish I quarrantined the last fish - spot. I contiuned to feed and test the tank until the nitrites and nitrates had fallen. After 4 weeks at last they had gone - so in went spot, he lasted less than 12 hours.
Now completely lost I have trawled the internet for an answer - what is going on, I have a collection of chemicals aquired from nearly all my local aquaria shops, test kits etc.
The tank tests fine (with one of the 5 in 1 strips), the filter has been churning away now for six weeks, I coniue to feed the empty tank in the vain hope it may magically cure itself.
I have taken the water for testing - the shop told me that the pH level was too high (turned blue in test tube) - the strip says is it is on the low side (yellow in clolour) - what is going on, which test do I believe, will this cause a fish to die overnight or is there some other problem?
I don't want to give up - but I don't want to continue to sentance these poor creatures to death

You mention nitrItes and nitrAtes, did you also check for ammonia? did you dechlorinate the water? how big is the tank? and uhh...where did you quarantine him? did you continue the cycle,a fter the fish was out, by adding ammonia to the tank? if not how did you do it?

Sorry for all the quesitons, just trying to get some ideas. I'm sure there's loads else I should ask but I can't think of it right now. :/

Did you get the same water, at the same time, tested on the same day? 'Cos, this may explain why you have differing results.

Agree with what clutterydrawer has asked.

Keep asking those questions on the forum.

latest update - tank of doom

Tank is a Tetra Nemo tank capacity 15l (I know very small), it comes with an internal power filter (Pico) and a plastic plant. We added some gravel and a castle ornament - now also some weed.

The first test in the shop came back with ammonia OK, Nitrite and nitrate OK but high pH.

The original pH was 9, have now done 90% water change and getting pH reading of 7.5 - the strips still read a low pH (6.4 ish), can I expect other readings to be inaccurate?

I also cleaned the gravel with a syphon vacuum thingy.

The Nitrite and nitrate levels were both fine - so I can assume the tank has cycled - can I?

The man in the shop said it was OK to try another fish so Mr Benn has arrived.

He has lasted overnight but is not interested in food and tries to hide whenever I apporach, his dorsal fin is erect and he shows no signs of clamping the others- is he scrared of me, stressed because of the tank or simply settling in? Shoul I try to feed him again to see if he comes out? Or are these bad signs and should I put him in the quarrantine bowl?

I have yet to test and have yet to get an Ammonia test - should I get one?

Is Mr Benn in danger can anyone help me help him to survive?

Mr Benn is a what fish? I know chilits are very shy fishes by experience. If he is eating regularly (when I say regularly, I mean he is eating at all). Sometimes, the ornaments we buy from shops (especially cheap or free ones) have certain chemicals in their paint that affects the water. But Mr. Benn sounds ok to me. Worst come to the worst, try some bettas or guramies, they are good for beginners.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back