Tank Nitrite Spike, And Sleepy Betta...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DannyBlackbourn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just tested my water in prep for a weekly water change, and my NitrIte has spiked to 2.0ppm.

Could this be due to the stock increase of my 4 Minnows? (One died)

I was sure I was fully cycled when I had readings of 0ppm for both Ammonia and NitrIte for about 4 days, I changed 100% water and stocked my tank with Guppies until I moved them back into their own tank and replaced with a Betta.

A few days after this is when I added the 5 Minnows and a clown Pleco an everything seemed fine.

Hopefully you guys will confirm my theory of stock increase equals increase in NitrIte.

Also today I have noticed that my Betta is not himself and seems to be sleeping most of today...

I think I know why, but like the above I would like to confirm my theory.

I went away for the weekend... (Left mine and turned tank lights out at around 5p.m Saturday and returned home around 10p.m Sunday) Could the light being off this long cause him to go like this?

Any help would be appreciated! :good:

The nitrite spike is most likely the cause of the increase in fish. Even though your tank is cycled, you should not add a huge amount of fish if you bio-load is small. If you had one betta in there, and then you added 6 more fish, well, you are basically multiplying the amount of ammonia produced by 6. You can see why this would take a while for the bacteria to catch up.

Just be adding 1 or 2 more fish, then adding 6 more, would of been double the amount of ammonia produced. You are now in a fish-in cycle where you need to preform water changes to keep your nitrite level at or below .25 ppm.

Also, the betta is most likely inactive because of the higher nitrite level. Nitrites effect a fishes nerve system.

-FHM

Oh god,

So basically I went through a fish-less cycle for no reason as now I have over loaded my tank with fish :sad:

My Betta seems fine one minute and the next he is just laying at the bottom of the tank, I'm started to get worried.

I have performed a 50% water change about an hour ago and the NitrIte is still coming in at 2ppm!?!

I will perform maybe a larger percentage in a minute and hopefully that will bring it down to <.25ppm

No, the fishless cycle is keeping your fish alive. You just added too many fish at once.

-FHM

Oh right I understand now.

Can't believe how stupid I have been... :sad:

I have just performed a 80% water change, will test water again in 30 minutes or so. *fingers crossed*

My Betta seems fine one minute and the next he is just laying at the bottom of the tank, I'm started to get worried.

My betta does this often but otherwise exhibits perfectly normal behavior. It may be completely normal. Fish sleep (or rest in one way or another) after all. When my betta is staying still near the bottom, and I tap on the glass, she perks up and starts dancing around (probably expecting food). If she didn't react at all, I would start to get worried.

edit: btw this is not to counter the advice of FHM - it's really good advice, as usual :good: i was only commenting on what was quoted

Yes, good observation JustFrozen. When I had bettas I observed this any number of times. I think of it as just one of their normal behaviors, something they tend to do more than most other species.

~~waterdrop~~

Hey,

Well I hope its just a trait and not my water affecting my boy!

But I will try to keep on top of my Nitrite situation anyhow...

Thank you for all your input :good:

Yup, just try to keep the Nitrite level below .25 as much as possible. Since you already have that type of bacteria in your filter form your fishless cycle, it should not be too long until the nitrite level drops to 0 ppm.

-FHM

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back