Tank Mates For My Parrot Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tropical_Dave

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there, im new to this site and still fairly new to the world of fish keeping. i have a parrot fish, who gets along ok with my other fish (gouramies, platties, pleco, angel fish and black ghost knife) i am about to upgrade to a bigger tank and i want to add some more fish but not sure what. i quite like green severums and ive heard they are quite easy going but how will my parrot react? i love tiger oscars but i know that would cause some problems. how about flower horns and frontosa? i read about someone who had a parrot, green and gold severum, flowerhorn and frontosa with no problems, is this easy to do? any help/advice would be great! :)

What size is your tank? And 
welcomeani.gif
to the forum!

Mixing cichlids is a nightmare. Frontosa are african and need different requirements to american cichlids. Yes some people mix them, but this is usually without doing any research first. You may get an exceptionally calm placid severum and have no problems mixing it with your parrot, or you could get an outright aggressive one and have no end of problems.

If you are going down the cichlid way (why not they are brilliant fish :) ) the main thing you will need is a spare tank just in case your fish suddenly do not get on. Trust me you can have two cichlids live happily together for a couple of years, then suddenly fall out and all hell breaks loose. Adding another cichlid to established parrot maybe a problem, your best chance is when you upgrade to the bigger tank add them together so they both have to establish new territories together rather than adding one after the other.

The oscar, flowerhorn and depending on attitude severum would all be too boisterous (and possible eat) your platies, in the case of the oscar your gourami would also be a snake and possibly the angels too. I cannot comment on the flowerhorn as I have never owned or rescued one.

Tropical_Dave said:
Ninjouzata my tank is 100L, star4 thanks for the help
smile.png
I derped. I meant to ask what you're upgrading to :p Am concerned as there are some large fish on your list! Being nosy really, sorry I can't be of any help. Thankfully Star is here! ^_^

I'm not sure on the other fish mentioned, but I know parrots and severums generally get along well

i forgot all about this! haha Ninjouzata im upgrading to a 100L, i know the fish get rather big but they are all pretty young and small still, when they get bigger i'll then upgrade the tank again.

allydawn17 thanks, i quite like severums so im glad to hear it shouldnt be a problem with the parrot

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back