Tank Hangs 1" Off Of Stand....okay ?

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
I am setting up a 56 gallon, it is 30"L X 18"W X 24"H. Conveniently it fits the stand my husband built for the 29 gallon. He built it super strong with thick wood planks and extra supports. Problem is it is hanging off the back a little over 1". Tank has the center and lower brace. He assures me it is fine, but would like to know if it sounds okay to Y'all ! Need that extra confidence :) Thanks
 
A 55 gallon tank will weigh about 460 pounds, plus another 60 or so pounds of substrate,

So what I would do, and I actually did this for my 29 gallon tank, is get a flat piece of wood, 1 inch or so think, cut it to the exact size, or bigger if you want, of your tanks foot print.

Then, nail/screw that down to the top of your stand, that way the tank will now be touching on all four sides.

If it were 1 of the smaller ends that was hanging over, I would say it would be okay, but the long sides of the the tank need to be well supported.

Better safe than sorry, plus, I dont think you want 460+ pounds of water all over your floor. :crazy:

-FHM
 
like FHM says, it is always better to be safe then sorry. Although, if you were not able to do this, i am sure it would be fine : ). but of course there will always be that chance.
 
I've done as mentioned with the plywood, and have a 55 that has been running that way for a few years, though it hangs off of the front, not the back. I wouldn't risk a full inch on a tank that size, get the plywood.
 
Thanks everyone. I will just have him nail another piece of wood to the back and will feel better about it !
 

Most reactions

Back
Top