Tank Backgrounds

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cooky_luvs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for making a background stick. I hate fixing it on my 55. I heard that using windex helped but I wouldn't want to risk getting it in the water. Any tips/tricks out there?

soapy water and rub bubbles from the centre out(same as fitting car window tinting film) when it dries it stays put

If you check around on the forum you'll find a couple where I talked about using vaseline. You just smear it on, place the background where you want it then use a credit card to get all the air bubbles out.

A thin layer of Vaseline....really thin....will make it stick. Just cut background to size and lightly apply a layer of Vaseline. Stick to glass and use a flat object like a plastic scraper to smooth out the bubbles.

It works....just done use too much vaseline. I've heard that vegetable oil works too but I've never used it.

I cellotaped ours on too, the tank was already up and with fish so I couldn't get behind it to fiddle with it.

I'll try the vasaline if I can get back there. Thanks for the ideas!

I make sure of what type of background I want and then I use spray adhesive. I spray it on the background so it is not permanent and I don't put any on the back of the tank, which would make it permanent. I had one on my 20 gallon and took it off awhile back, now I just have to make sure I clean it off really well and put on the background I want for my puffer tank. Of course it is a reef background. And if I change my mind later then I just take it off, clean back of tank really well and put a different one on. Not hard at all.

Thanks for the vasaline tip! I finally went out and got some, it works great :) I fixed the backgrounds on my 10 and 20, i'm just being a bit lazy about getting around to the 55 :p

On mine, just a fine spray of water did the trick with some scotch tape on the edges. Ater its on squeege excess from the middle outwards.

I'll try the vasaline if I can get back there. Thanks for the ideas!

Yes. Vaseline. Not only will it stick but it will make the background brighter. You ever have a bit of water that somehow gets in between your tank and background and notice it looks better where it's wet? Vaseline gives it that look while also keeping it stuck.

Karl

Whatever you do DON't use Aquarium Sealant. The jerk I bought my used 60g acrylic from sealed the background to the back of the tank. Took forever to get all of the sealant off and buff the scratches out.

My tank is 3 inches from my wall so sticky tape is the only option.

Looks ok ish :)

Kurtspicsfromworkpc499.jpg

Most reactions

Back