Tanganyikan Project

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kiriyama

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi, finally bought a tank today, pick it up first thing tomorrow :hyper:
Was originally looking for a 5 footer (still am, :lol: )
This one is 48"L x 15"W sloping up to 12" at the top, I think is 15" or 18" in height :unsure: Looking at stocking :good: Impulse buy, bad idea going to an LFS with cash in pocket, was handed another £60 today to add to my fund so very happy :lol:

Can rob external filter and external heater from here

Photo0600.jpg

or external filter and internal heater from here

Photo0602.jpg

Photo0601.jpg

Had a look at some rockwork today :lol:

Photo0598.jpg

Will just use some ocean rock I have, rob some sand from the other tanks, probably use it for the fry until the new year and then figure out a definate stock plan :unsure:
Will post pics. of tank tomorrow, cheers for looking :good:
Think maybe return in the spring, sorry about the blurry shots, shaking with excitment :blush:

Yayyyyyy!!!!! :band: :hooray:
Really glad you decided on a tank and have got one, bet it`s going to look absolutely brill. Not sure those rocks will last long though :look: :lol:

Any vague idea on stocking or are you just going to make a definitive list nearer the time? :unsure:

Yayyyyyy!!!!! :band: :hooray:
Really glad you decided on a tank and have got one, bet it`s going to look absolutely brill. Not sure those rocks will last long though :look: :lol:

Any vague idea on stocking or are you just going to make a definitive list nearer the time? :unsure:

Probably grow on tank for the Sumbu fry till next year :sad:
If I can stock with the Tangs I have been wanting for AGES and doing lots of homework on then that's what it's going to be, otherwise it's 4 Sumbu , 4 Multies, 9 Nigripinnis , BN Plec (albino) :unsure:

Well I`ll keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to have the fish you want in there ;) It`d be good to see you have the nigripinnis, good size tank for them apparently and they`re striking :good:

Well I`ll keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to have the fish you want in there ;) It`d be good to see you have the nigripinnis, good size tank for them apparently and they`re striking :good:

Been asking tons on a few forums, seems fairly positive, i can get the babies and put in the bigger tank end Feb start March, I just need to source a five footer :grr:
It's been a bonus today because I think the Mrs thought that was the BIG tank, I have made a space for it tomorrow and told her it's temp, when the time arrises I'll dismantle the 20gall/95ltr move the TV/xbox in it's place then shazam there's a space for the five footer, tee hee, not lying as such, just been economical with the truth, so the 3 footer became a 4 footer and I'm still looking for the 5 :lol:
I think tomorrow I'll strip the 46ltr, put the comps and multies , maybe a plec in the new tank, then source a second filter :unsure:
Been looking at tons of stocking ideas though :lol:

The 'economical with the truth' thing seems to be a fishkeepers way of getting those upgrades. Here`s hoping she goes along with it all :lol: :lol:

It sounds like you know what you want, I don`t think it`ll be too long before it`s all up and running in one way or another ;)

The 'economical with the truth' thing seems to be a fishkeepers way of getting those upgrades. Here`s hoping she goes along with it all :lol: :lol:

It sounds like you know what you want, I don`t think it`ll be too long before it`s all up and running in one way or another ;)

NEWS JUST IN!!!!!!
I'm sitting in front of it in the house right now :hyper: Just home with it, will post some pics up soon, need food, cup of tea lol , I have a feeling I'll try set it up when fed and watered :lol: Have the stocking worked out already :lol:

Progress so far....
Cleaned tank, it was filthy....
robbed lighting control from 95ltr/20gall, tested 2 bulbs by resting them on brace bar, need to buy clips and a condesation tray, switched bulbs off lay them on rug, folded rug, then stood on the blue bulb :grr: Hmmm , decided fablon would be a better choice than usual background, took my time with it, thought I had done a good job, looked at it, full of lumps bumps and creases, :crazy: it's in the bin now, the Mrs suggest the textured stuff that's in the 46ltr fishbox :unsure:

Photo0597.jpg

I'm thinking a small tin of tile paint, colour unsure, I was hoping to post pics. of it with rocks and water by now, maybe a video of the fry tonight, here's how it stands now, at this rate I'm scared to put water in it :lol:

Photo0614.jpg

Photo0613.jpg

Photo0612.jpg

Photo0611.jpg

Photo0615.jpg

I like!! :D :good:
The background I have is just the standard double sided background from lfs, stuck on with tape around the edges.

So you stood on the tube? Broke or not? Looks like you and I both seem to have mishaps with tubes :look:
You have your stocking worked out now then, why am I not surprised? :lol: I reckon it`s gonna look great once done, can`t wait to see what fish you fill it with :)

Intresting shaped tank... Did someone mess up their glass cutting at the shop?
laugh.gif

Looking forward to seeing it scaped and teaming with Tang life ;)

Will be back on the case tomorrow. Will just buy one of those sheet backgrounds and stick it on, smear vaseline on the glass first ?
It's looking like I can't get the "bigger" Tangs I was wanting, even in a 60"x18"x18" I'm being told is "tight" :sad:
Think I'll put the fry in, sourced some stock for the new year , mmmm , can't wait, why are we so impatient :lol:
:fish:

Will be back on the case tomorrow. Will just buy one of those sheet backgrounds and stick it on, smear vaseline on the glass first ?
It's looking like I can't get the "bigger" Tangs I was wanting, even in a 60"x18"x18" I'm being told is "tight" :sad:
Think I'll put the fry in, sourced some stock for the new year , mmmm , can't wait, why are we so impatient :lol:
:fish:

I didn`t use anything to stick the background on with, just smoothed it all out then used the cellotape all the way round. ;)

Shame about the bigger Tangs, I`m sure you`ll come up with some good ideas though. Impatient? Don`t know what you mean :blush: :lol: :lol:

Intresting shaped tank... Did someone mess up their glass cutting at the shop?
laugh.gif

Looking forward to seeing it scaped and teaming with Tang life ;)
:lol:
Cheers Goat, think the guy had a spare base and hood at odd sizes from each other and cut the glass to suit, I think it might make veiewin nice though, even more bizarre, I was tempted putting the slope at the back, was think that some fish might see it as an overhang once the background was on :unsure:
It looks like a display stand in a takeaway shop, would you like fries with your burger ? :lol:

UPDATE

LFS visit , different one from where I got the tank, purchased background, he didn't have 18" , went for 24" and still got charged for 24", where's the Xmas spirit ? :grr:
Vist P@H , condensation tray , :good:
Robbed some substrate from the 95ltr, added a small amount of the caribsea sand I had left and a small amount of black sand I had.
Added rocks, nothing like the piles I made outside the tank :lol:
Decided to add the lava boulders also so the layout is nothing like I originally intended.
Used about half the water from the 95ltr.
I had an issue, I was originally going to strip the 46ltr, move fish from there to the 95ltr and the fry to the new tank, I couldn't bring myself to strip the 46ltr, I like it to much :blush:
At the moment everything is in the 46, the fry are in a breeding box net, put a few pieces of gravel in the bottom, this extends the vertical length, the 2 plecs are in a guppy breeding box, they will be in the big tank in a few hours..
I crushed the blue bulb by standing on it yesterday :lol: I added 20w aqua-glo and 18w original tropical, I think they are 24" length, middle of tank bright, enda are shaded, I like it but it will all get changed next year...
Think that's about it, pics. to follow hopefully :lol:
Question time now, put 3 comps and 2 multies and 2 placs in the big tank OR put 37 fry and 2 plecs. i the big tank :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Back