tail rot

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

iloveyou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
ok... almost every betta ive ever bought from petcetera has gotten fin rot.... and of course, the 2nd oldest one got it... and the ends of his tail are turning lighter then the rest of his tail.. and its creeping closer to his body ... i have a very odd question... i kno that it will just keep takin over his tail until he dies....

here i go..

would cutting the tail rotted parts off his tail stop the rot?
ive considered this a lot, and with my other fish that had 1/2 his tail bitten off, he is fine... should i try this? he will die of this tail rot im sure.. and ive decided to take back the petcetera bettas and ask for different fish, as the bettas always die...

should i try cutting its tail? anyone tried it before?

i have 2 new bettas and one of them got and is still recovering from fin rot. i would personally not do any sort of surgery. i had initially treated him with jungle fungus eliminator and he had 2 relapses. i have now switched to kanacyn (it comes in the "pill powder" form, like bettamax) he seems to be doing much better. kanacyn is usually used for stubborn fin rot (among other things)
here is a link to some betta "surgery" instead of cutting you can use that mercurochrome stuff (you know that pink/red stuff that humans put on cuts, you would get it a drugstore)
i hope this helps, sorry i dont know about cutting fins, but maybe the below article will help.
good luck!! :)
betta talk fin rot "surgery" link

glamermaid said:
(you know that pink/red stuff that humans put on cuts, you would get it a drugstore)
i feel like i should try to prove that im not an alien now! LOL! :whistle:

oh this... ive done it with hydrogen peroxide with guppies, but i heard its bad for other fish... once i used too much and sizzled one of my guppies :(...

what i think i will do... is net him... and poor 1/2 hydro peroxide 1/2 water solution over his tail... then rinse him good... doubt hell live through it.. but im gonna try to save em jus like all the petcetera bettas :/

Most reactions

Back