Synodontis Granulosus

dave_oddballs

ray and oddball keeper !!
Reaction score
just picked up my granulosus today, only a little fella at just over an inch,
now, when you look up pics of this fish they are a solid really dark brown/black with a white outline to the fins.
mine has faintly apparent spots only very slightly darker than the base colour, i have seen pics on planet catfish of juvenile granulosus with spots just like mine.
does anyone know if this is just normal and they loose them as they mature???
cheers
Dave

i dont know about that specific type but i know alot of young synos have pattence and spots when they young that dissapear or fade when they get older

yeah cheers,
i just know that these fish aren't too common, and out of the ones that are available, a lot are supposedly hybrids.
if i know this particular species is meant to have faint spots as a juvenile then i will just be a little bit happier!!
im pretty sure it isn't a hybrid but just need reassurance!!
cheers
Dave

just been doing a bit of research o the catfish, just out of interest seeing the price of them on the classifieds, only a few for sale and all around £150 each. i knew they wasn't very common but didn't know they were worth that much!
soon as my little fella settles in i will get some pics and see if i can get it confirmed that it is a granulosus, if it is i will go buy them all!
£10 for a £150 fish is sounding very promising!!

Dave

Synodontis granulosus
Fish Behaviour/Breeding
Should be kept with fish of a similar size. Most synodontis have the capacity to bully other fish. However, kept with fish of a similar size they are more likely to be relatively peaceful.

Family Group: Catfish
Distribution Lake Tanganyika,East Africa
Temperature 23-27C
Size Around 25cm
Water Parameters Should adapt to most water conditions
Water PH 7.5-8.2

At £10 I'm positive it's not a genuine s.granulosa. There are so many hybrids being sold these days, but I do know that even when small granulosa have the same colouring as the adult ie a dark charcoal body with distinct white edges to the fins. Any spots or other markings mean that it's either a hybrid or another variety of syno, though my money would be on a hybrid.
Without a pic, it's going to be difficult to confirm.
HTH
Martin

yeah i agree it could be a hybiri, which wouldn't bother me as i really like the fish!i have seen wild caught granulosus juvi's that do have faint spots, as mine does, which are obviously not hybrids.
i will try my best to get a picture, it is only about an inch and just hides behind the filter so its not easy, i will let you know when i get a pic!

Dave

most colours ons synodontis catfish fade through time .. its such a shame fish like s. multipunctatus are realy nice when young but often go a sorta greyish colour when older :(

my 4" multi looks gorgeous and even though they do fade with age they still are very good looking fish!
i have been researching the s. granulosus and the juvis DEFINATELY have spots, look similar to a multi but with a dark base colour, i guess i will have to wait for it to mature which could be anywhere from 8 months to a couple of years! time will tell but im confident it is a pure s. granulosus.

Dave

s . granulosus have realy nice fins ... i love this fish .. one of the nicest to keep... they get alot bigger that my number one S multipunctatus

Most reactions

Back