Switching to salt?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

staredecisis

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, I've never kept my bettas in salted water, but I want to start to help prevent diseases. Is switching from completely unsalted water, to salted water a shock for the bettas? or do they like it? I've heard both, and I'm not sure which is right. If it is a shock, how can I gradually switch them over? Or should I not even do it at all?
Looking forward to the responses of the experts, thanks.

First of all, consider why you want to do salted water. Personally, I'm a fan of using salt to treat various ailments, but I don't keep them in salted water all the time. Everyone has differing opinions on this, but from the research I have done, it makes the most sense. The real benefit of salt is the change when you add it to water. If they are in it all the time, adding it won't help diseases much. You can keep them in just a little bit if you want - a little sprinkle per gallon or so, and then add more if you encounter problems. I do that with a few of my guys that seem sickness-prone.. seems to work rather well since I started! As far as shock value, I think that's what you want when treating an illness, as I dicussed earlier. It has never seemed to have a negative effect when I've added quite a bit all of a sudden.

All IME!

That is exactly what I am doing, is treating an ailment.. but I was afraid that the sudden change in water type might stress the little guy out even more. I've also heard of people keeping them in salt at all times, but I don't think I am too keen on that idea. I'm just going to add a bit to the hospital tank then, thank you for the help.

im not an expert.. more of a moron lol... but..

i too keep some salt in with my bettas .... everyday i put a pinch in their 10 gallon tank.... i do it usually for about a week.... then after new water is added i do it again... usually starting a week after the last salt of the 1st week.. donno if that makes much sense lol

but remember

IM THE MORON
:fish:

Most reactions

Back