Swine Flu

morgan

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Worcs, England
Hi, I currently have Swine Flu and I need to do a water change. I didn't do it last week as I was really unwell but I think I can manage it today. Do you think I need to cover my face? I don't have a mask but I could tie a tea towel around. I know it sounds silly but the virus does seem to transfer across different species and I don't want my fish to get ill. They are going to get ill anyway if I don't change the water so it seems to be a Catch22. Any opinions welcome. Thanks. BTW I haven't had Tamiflu so I have the full blown illness. :sick:
 
I really wouldnt worry about it. Just do the water change, I don't think it'll be an issue.
 
awww poor you =[

yeah im sure the fish will be fine!

when did you do a water change last and how old is the tank? cause you might be able to get away with it if it established so you can get better!
 
Hi, thank you for the fast replies. It is a 4ft tank (300litres) and is 4 years old. I should have done the waterchange last Wednesday but that was the day I fell ill. I think I will go ahead and if I cough or sneeze just try and turn my head away in time. I was just concerned as the virus seems to jump across species from pigs to us so I thought maybe it could jump from us to fish. The tank is fairly heavily stocked at the moment as I have some large Mollie fry ready to go to lfs and I have a 15" Common. :)
 
I wouldn't worry about it. Pigs are relatively similar to humans in terms of genetics (hence their use in anatomy study and testing) but fish are a whole nother story--- not mammalian, not warm-blooded, breathe through gills. I have not heard any possiblilities of any animal other than pigs and humans contracting swine flu so I wouldn't worry about it.
 
Get better soon.
 
Your fish will not get the flu. You could drool in the tank they will be fine. Glad to hear you are feeling well enough to do the water change. Get lots of rest.
 
Swine flu isn't actually "pig flu".

BBC News said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8021958.stm
The name "swine flu" is a slight misnomer as it is believed pigs acted as a mixing pot for several flu strains, containing genetic material from pigs, birds and humans. Most humans have never been exposed to some of the antigens involved in the new strain of flu, giving it the potential to cause a pandemic.
Unless you have some form of mutation going on with your particular case (improbable but... not impossible) then your fish will be fine with you doing the water changes. They are as likely to catch swine flu from you as they are to catch a regular cold from you.
 
leave it until you get better, youll be fine, as justkai says, swine flu isnt pig flu, it is a combination of several different strains, which is constantly mutating, which is why you dont need a vaccine unless theres a chance it could kill you.
 
Your fish will not get the flu. You could drool in the tank they will be fine. Glad to hear you are feeling well enough to do the water change. Get lots of rest.

LOL. I have done the water change (I did it before I read the later replies) and I am glad I made the effort. I had forgotten that we are quite similar to pigs. BTW if you ever have to phone the Swine Flu helpline they ask you a few questions first to see if you need to dial 999. One of them is "Are you in a coma?" :crazy: Do you think they manage to keep a straight face? I wouldn't! :unsure:
 
BTW if you ever have to phone the Swine Flu helpline they ask you a few questions first to see if you need to dial 999. One of them is "Are you in a coma?" :crazy: Do you think they manage to keep a straight face? I wouldn't! :unsure:
:lol: that's a perfect example of all these call centres that are reading from a script rather than using their brains

Get better soon :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top