swallow tail Guppies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
one of my swallow tail Guppies some can turn out to be nice looking fish, any guppy with such a long gonopodium will not be able to breed with females in each brood there will be a percentage of normal males which can be bred back to the females

IMG_8586.JPG

one of my swallow tail Guppies some can turn out to be nice looking fish, any guppy with such a long gonopodium will not be able to breed with females in each brood there will be a percentage of normal males which can be bred back to the females

View attachment 152696
i love funny lookin guppies :D
Does it have red eyes and semi-transparent skin?
maybe the one pictured is albino

That's what I was thinking, albino/ lutino. Albino shouldn't have any yellow.

Lutino birds normally have yellow feathers with pink eyes. Not sure about lutino fish.
hmm but lutino birds have black eyes...
I like this fish more. The pink eye freaks me out a bit but it has nicer body colours :)
lol albino fish are a bit freaky
been trying to get an albino gupp for a long time now
specifically albino koi

1642830538386.png

View attachment 152696
With ribbon guppies, the males with those elongated gonopodiums, won't be able to be used for reproduction because of the length of the gonopodium. The muscle is not able to support such a long gonopodium. And therefore it can not direct the gonopodium into a certain direction well enough. The name "swallow" has got only to do with the shape of the caudal. When you'd like to breed this strain, one should always use a regular male from that strain. In the offspring both ribbon males and males will be present. The ribbon males will be used at shows. In the glass belly guppy group I've kept, from time to time also such ribbon swallow specimens (female and male) occurred.
Does it have red eyes and semi-transparent skin?
This typical glass belly strain is the socalled yellow taxi glass belly guppy. And all specimens of this particular strain are albino and are translucent. They're totally out of melanophores in the skin and melanin in the eyes, which makes them oculocutaneous albinos. If it were only totally lacking melanin in the eyes but does contain melanophores or other color cells in the skin, we'd be talking about ocular albinos. If we have hardly color cells in the skin with the exception of a majority of leucophores (white color cells) but sufficient melanophores (dark color cells) in the eyes, then we're dealing with a phenotype that's called leucistic.
I used to have lutino budgies, some had pink eyes and some had black.
hmm but lutino birds have black eyes...

lol albino fish are a bit freaky
been trying to get an albino gupp for a long time now
specifically albino koi

View attachment 152728
Lutino birds have always red eyes and they need to have yellow feathering. Black eyed birds with a total yellow feathering are just yellow birds. A black eyed bird with a white feathering is just a white bird but also a leucistic bird. I've bred budgies and other birds since I was 12 up to my 27th.

Lutino in fish is something different. When we're talking about lutino fish, such fish have dark red eyes. For there's not a total lack of melanin in the eyes. Albinos are totally lacking melanin in the eyes which makes the eyes look light (bright) red instead of dark because of the blood in the veins have become visible.

Most reactions

trending

Back