Surprise snail, what kind and how to take care of it??

Daylin Mitchell

Reaction score
So u went to my LFS the other day to get a few things, including a live plant. All went well, I brought it home. Now it’s been a few days and suddenly, a baby snail has appeared in my tank. I already have a tiger nerite snail, but it’s by itself so it can’t be from that. I’m assuming it was in the plant somehow when I got it (even though the plant was in a strictly plant tank). I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of snail this is and how to take care of it. I’m still in shock from finding it and have no idea what I’m doing so I’ll take all the advice I can get lol

Attachments

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
It’s blurry but looks like a common pond snail.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Not a pond snail.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Could be but doesn’t look like mine. Could it be an apple snail?

Colin_T

Reaction score
The snail on the black pipe looks like a young mystery/ apple snail. The snail on the gravel looks like a Ramshorn snail. Post a picture of it from the front view when the snail is out and about.

No special requirements for snails, if the fish are happy and the water is clean, the snails will thrive.

Last edited:

betta fish

Reaction score
That's a Ramshorn snail, when they are young their shell looks more angular but as they mature it smooths out more, I have lots, they are easy snails to keep but prefer cooler temps.

OP
D

Daylin Mitchell

Reaction score
The snail on the black pipe looks like a young mystery/ apple snail. The snail on the gravel looks like a Ramshorn snail. Post a picture of it from the front view when the snail is out and about.

No special requirements for snails, if the fish are happy and the water is clean, the snails will thrive.
All of the pictures are of the same snail

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I have to agree with ramshorn. Cute little guy!

Search tags for this page

a surprise snail

surprise baby assassin snails