Surly Joe my betta

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Pointy_kitty

i eat buttons
Reaction score
i now have 2 male betta and one female
my female is loving life and thinks she is a platy in my VERY peaceful community tank
Surly Joe is in a potentially semi-aggressive (its pretty peaceful but all of the fish are larger and can hold their own if another attacks) and he has never been better
if you haven't heard i had to put him in my tank and treat him for fin rot which cured his lethargicness and loss of appetite
And last but not least (my prettiest of all) Jebediah who is purple, dark blue, light blue, pink, white and yellow
as you can see (or rather read from the description) he was hard NOT to snatch up
he's as pretty as can be and he is living in a large bowl where he is happily chowing down blood worms and building his HUGE bubble nest

my problem:
SURLY JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU SURLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grr:
he spends a good 2/3 of the day hassling my 3 gourami nose to nose with his little head as poofed out as it can go
lately he's been taking them on (but not chasing them) dispite his size
he opens his little bulldog mouth as much as it will stretch and gives the gourami one good bite on the side like a "piss-off-ya-wanka!' (.... thats how i make him talk :lol: )
he never leaves a mark on them of any kind but they are becoming restless and grouchy
i want them to put him in his place but they haven't yet
should i trade Surly for Jebediah and put Surly in the bowl now that the weather is a bit better/warmer?

I dont suggest putting any betta in with guoramis. It can be like putting two male bettas together. bad bad bad. But maybe someone else can help a bit better.

Nina7777 said:
I dont suggest putting any betta in with guoramis. It can be like putting two male bettas together. bad bad bad. But maybe someone else can help a bit better.
well i've never tried to put my males in tanks before but i researched it and it said the dwarf gourami, and redtailed black shark are some of the better tank mates for a typically semi-aggressive betta which are exactly what are in my tank :nod:
so i assumed it was a good idea at the time :S
he doesn't chase them constantly but i don't want stress in my water
i also have a nippy flying fox in there, but he minds his own business

IMO i would keep them both in seperate tanks. But like i said dont have that much experience mixing bettas and guoramis.

Nina7777 said:
IMO i would keep them both in seperate tanks. But like i said dont have that much experience mixing bettas and guoramis.
i only have bowls left over, so they would each (the 2 betta) have their own bowls
and the gourami would be in the tank (of course)

maybe you could try getting some more plants so that the gouramis/betta can hide for a while?? You could try that first and then if that doesnt work, try the putting them in separate bowls. My betta and gourami get on fine, maybe its because my betta knows that the gourami is twice the size of him...lol :D
im sure it'll work out somehow!! :thumbs:

Loopyness said:
maybe you could try getting some more plants so that the gouramis/betta can hide for a while?? You could try that first and then if that doesnt work, try the putting them in separate bowls. My betta and gourami get on fine, maybe its because my betta knows that the gourami is twice the size of him...lol :D
im sure it'll work out somehow!! :thumbs:
thats a great idea
my blue gourami is full grown
i just can't wait til the gold and dwarf are full grown as well
i think my betta is establishing dominance not technically "trying to kill them"
like my cousin yelled out one day :lol:
i'm really rooting for the gourami
i want them to but jebediah in his place!

Most reactions

Back