surface water movement

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nicademous

Reaction score
hi..i have a rio 300 jewel tank holding 300 ltrs of water and its planted quite well but with no fertiliser as plants added later after tank set up...i want to add co2 but comments i see say to have little water movement at top of tank..im not sure if you know the jewel set up but the filtration system is built in and is angled at top of tank at 1 speed which is quite fast...i can angle down but will blow my plants away lol...any ideas how to slow down or will it be ok to add the co2 as it is? how do the fish manage to survive with little movement? there are currenty 47 fish in my tank, platys, coolie loaches, danios, tetras, mollies, catfish,octies, angel fish,red tailed shark and mountain minnows..thanx

Balancing your tank with light, CO2, water movement and stocking levels is a big subject.

You will often find that serious planted tank owners stock very low.

I'm not familiar with that tank, but it is usually possible to stick some kind of baffle arrangement to slow down and direct the return down and along one of the tank walls.

Adding CO2 in a very high energy environment is not terribly effective. It comes out of solution very easily, you may not see any benefit at all in extreme circumstances.

If you can't do anything about the surface agitation, arrange for your CO2 to be introduced as far away from the source of the agitation as possible, and use one of the "inverted cup" type things to hold the CO2 in contact with the water as much as possible. Just bubbling CO2 through the tank doesn't do much.

If you can turn the filter outlet onto the back of the tank you'll be laughing.
LL's post sums it up ;)

I've got a Juwel rio 240 tank you can turn the outlet nozzle down to around 45 degrees this will not disturb the surface. Or If you look on Juwels website they actually sell different sizes of the outlet buy a different sized one or better still buy 2 and join them together changing the angle altogether.

cheers 4 ur replies,ive angled it down, now it buzzes,cant win lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back