Super Glue & Slate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I think super glue is ok to use in my tank but just thought I'd ask to be sure. I would also like to use natural slate, which again I think is ok?

I assume if both ok the glue will bond slate to slate?

And finally is ANY make of super glue ok to use?

While I'm waiting for my shrimp tank to cycle I thought I'd make up some shrimp friendly caves etc.

Thanks.

I think you would be better off using some aquarium safe silicone, reason being that the slate more than likley wont have an even surface so super glue wont work that well.

Silicone will bond most things together if it's allowed to set properly. Epoxy is also good.

Superglue is for cleaner surfaces or things that need to stick immediately and it doesn't matter if it's all that secure (like plants that will root on on their own).

Correct that Super Glue works best on smooth or matched surfaces, or to glue plants to wood or rock. But only Super Glue that is cyanoacrylate.

Any 100% silicone is safe as well, so long as there is NO mold or mildew inhibitor.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i have used superglue in my tank i think any super glue is okay used in small amounts it will go a white colour in the water tho, if you can super glue the item before it enters the water and leave it to cure for a couple of days even better but for like anubias and moss onto wood/rocks just a little dab and put the moss onto it it will set and go white almost instantly when you raise the water up :) it is safe

Super glue is perfectly safe for use in Aquariums (obviously don't pour it into the tank, that would be just silly) but for gluing applications its totally harmless.

haha if you where to poor into the tank i don't think it would matter so much as it would just solidify instantly :)

hope i got this right, super glue uses the air to stay as a liquid, when you push two objects together when you glue them you remove that air so that part dries :) same under water as soon as that glue goes under water it will solidify and dry instantly :)

I took my slate walls close to 10 years for the silicone to start letting go.

There is also aquarium safe epoxy available.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back