Super Glue And Stems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SLIM

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was thinking about super gluing the ends of stem plants to pebbles then burring them in the sand or something similar to prevent them being uprooted.
Has anyone done this? Do you think the ends of the stems will rot if I glue them?

How about tieing the stems to the pebbles? I would guess that gluing them would kill the stem.

Never tried it myself so it might work.

Livewire88 said:
How about tieing the stems to the pebbles? I would guess that gluing them would kill the stem.
Never tried it myself so it might work.
tieing would work but abit of a faff when you have about 80 stems on order lol
Maybe good old traditional flexible lead. I dont want to kill them

Lead is the way, the amount I found when I changed my substrate could have been used to re roof a house! lol

ye i've never tried glueing i usually just push them in with my fingers deep enough and if you can kinda make them bend a tad under they stay under but be careful not to snap it :), seems to work at the front where there is less sand kinda hard and some do get uprooted but with 80stems wow a lot of stems, where have you bought them from they may already come in lead or with rings that some of my plants come with

@Livewire.. LOL I can imagine. I have loads of the stuff. I always seem to get it free when ordering plants but never really used it.
Never really been a fan of stems but I thought I woukd give them a second chance with my new high light high tech set up. Just dont want the headache of having to constantly replant them.

@Zikofsky.. Yea I have planted stems this way before but my sand is very fine and I have a very curious BN Pleco so they dont stay plantee for long lol. The plants iv ordered wont come with lead but like iv said iv got plenty so its all good:)

Iv ordered 20 Red Ludwigia Repens, 20 Red Cabomba, 50 Ambulia and 5 Water Wisteria.
95 stems sorry. Underestimated lol.

Ripping all my vallis out at the back and replacing with all these:)

This means all my vallis will be up for grabs soon if anybody wants. I have lots!

Obviously superglue doesn't kill anubias or java fern but I once tried it on in vitro grown urticularia graminifolia and stuck it to the wood as an experiment and the superglue didn't kill the plant. So it's worth trying. Maybe just do a few and see how they go, and then do the rest.

snazy said:
Obviously superglue doesn't kill anubias or java fern but I once tried it on in vitro grown urticularia graminifolia and stuck it to the wood as an experiment and the superglue didn't kill the plant. So it's worth trying. Maybe just do a few and see how they go, and then do the rest.
See this was exactly what I was thinking and why I thought it might work. I guess I was hoping for someone to come along who had done it with stems and say Yep it works lol. Like you say I may just try it with a few and see how I get on:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back