Sumps, Weirs & Placement

Yeah you would still want a weir over the durso inlets. It doesn't have to be one that runs all the way to the bottom of the tank.

It might be worth adding a t piece at the bottom of the durso and 2 bits of pipes and end caps and make a spray bar as such should be quieter you can use this for a bit of surface disruption with it and improve gas exchange.

Oh yeah I cant remember if it has been mentioned or not but when you work out the hole size you need make it slightly bigger and also put in two of them. That way if one blocks the other one will save you from a flooded display tank.

On the frag tank in my picture I put one of the bulkheads slightly higher than the other. This meant that if the main one blocked the water would go up to the second one and flow out of there. It also meant that I would then instantly see that the main overflow pipe was blocked where as if you had the water flowing through both at the same time you might not notice if one pipe was blocked (until the second one blocks and the tank floods :) ).

Edit: oh yeah. On the divider it may be worth using something that has holes in it rather than solid glass with an overflow on the top of it. this will allow the water to pass through easier but more importantly it will mean you dont have two different water levels in the tank.

If you have a solid divider then the right hand side of the tank has to have a higher water level then the left, the left then has to go down slightly further for the sump overflow.

Might not be an issue but personally I would go for something that will allow the water to circulate freely around the tank. Not sure what would work best for this though.

I'd originally thought about having "small holes" in the glass divider then figured that it would weaken the glass too much.
I'm not sure at the moment what to use for the divider but as you say something that allows the water to flow while keeping the sides equal would be better. That's one for me to have a think about. Maybe some sort of mesh?

I see the point about creating a form of spray bar at the base of the durso.
It's so good to be able to consider of all this sort of stuff "before" rather than "after".

I have ordered the bits to add a spray bar to the bottom of mine will update you if succsessful

Depending on what you are looking at putting either side you could use eggcrate or I personaly would look at a sheet of 5mm black acrylic and drill it with 3 - 5 mm holes at 2 inch seperation this would not weaken at all but I suspect this would allow a better flow through :)

I have ordered the bits to add a spray bar to the bottom of mine will update you if succsessful

Depending on what you are looking at putting either side you could use eggcrate or I personaly would look at a sheet of 5mm black acrylic and drill it with 3 - 5 mm holes at 2 inch seperation this would not weaken at all but I suspect this would allow a better flow through :)

Lol ok i have the bits for the spray bar was in my recycle bin :p

will try and get it done tonight

Yeah eggcrate was my first thought for a divider too and it would give the best water flow, depends on the fish stock though.

Acrylic would work well too, just make sure there are plenty of holes as they could block fairly quickly and you need to have enough flow through the divider to match the flow of the return pump (or the right hand side will fill up and overflow over the top of the divider). Best way to imagine it is that the holes you drill have to at least match the same size as the bulkhead holes (including the "spare" bulkhead).

Eggcrate could be cool if you stuck liverock rubble over it (not too tightly packed so it still has good flow). Have a look for Big c's nano journal to get an idea of what I'm talking about. This would stop the fish from seeing each other and would also be nice covered with corals too.

Now, I quite like that idea - live rock rubble attached to egg crate as the divider.

My biggest concern would probably be inverts/CUC getting through to the "other" side.
One side is planned for "peaceful" fish starting with a pair of percula clowns and the rest of the stock worked to fit in with them (although not neccesarily added in that order). Other inhabitants being considered are pajama cardinals and firefish.
The other side is for dwarf fuzzy lionfish, other inhabitants being considered are a pinktail trigger and powder blue tang so far.
But other than the clowns and lionfish, nothing is definite as yet.

You could have the durso IN the display tank too though!

I will draw a picture!

sumpdwg.jpg

Me and my friend tried the small holes you were talking about way back in college. Only to find out floating fishes the next day. LOL!

Regards,
mitrafox
Placement financier

Love the eggcrate idea. The snails can and will make it over the top of the divider though, no matter what type you choose. They can/will go out of water and over the top. Air doesn't necessarily deter them ;). That said, concern more with stopping the fish, and don't loose sleep over the snails.

One thing I'll suggest is on your return pipe, make sure you have a checkvalve, AND a form of anti siphon. Will you be going "over the side", or drilling the side for the return pipe?

I'm pretty much sold on the egg crate idea. My husband likes it too, so I think that's the way we'll go.
As, we're going to go with drilling the outlets from the tank I figure we'll also drill for the return.
My initial thought had been to have the return enter the tank near the base of the live rock to help with circulation. Then I'd thought go over the top to reduce risk of back siphon, but I can see that I can still have the return outlet above the water level with drilling too - although that may be a little noisy and with the correct plumbing it could work with a below water level return.
Point noted about check valve and anti-siphon :good:

Yeah I just have my returns drilled right below the waterline.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back