Sump

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jredouard25

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If I have an overflow box that flows the water 550 GPH and a return pump that returns 540-550 GPH would it overflow my tank or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the return pump in a sump underneath the aquarium, then the flow rate should be fine. As pumps push water up, the amount of water slows down, so if the pump pushes water up 3 feet to get it back into the tank, the amount of water going back into the tank should be less than that stated on the pump.

Check the pump packaging and see if it has a chart showing water pumped at certain heights.

If the pump does pump too much water you can put a T-piece and tap on the return line and bleed a small amount of water off so it goes back into the sump, and less water will be pumped up to the tank.

If you have the return pump in a sump underneath the aquarium, then the flow rate should be fine. As pumps push water up, the amount of water slows down, so if the pump pushes water up 3 feet to get it back into the tank, the amount of water going back into the tank should be less than that stated on the pump.

Check the pump packaging and see if it has a chart showing water pumped at certain heights.

If the pump does pump too much water you can put a T-piece and tap on the return line and bleed a small amount of water off so it goes back into the sump, and less water will be pumped up to the tank.

Your such a big help ty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back