Sump Glass Question.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CBBP

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I am gonna make a sump with baffles. The inner tank is 12 and 1/16th give or take a 1/32.

Should I get 12 glass so I can slide it in and then turn it (since the tank plastic brace is on it) or get 12 1/16 wide glass for the the baffles and just cool the baffle panels down then put them into place and then silicone them after the tank and baffle glass equalizes and the sizes are the same?

some cool pictures of my rough draft

Sump.jpg

FishTankStand.jpg

you shouldn't need glass that thick for a sump because it is stengthened by the baffles if got a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and that is only 6mm glass and its solid plus 12mm glass can be expensive thats what my 825L main tank is made from with a double thickness base and top and bottom bracing

well the tank is the standard 55 gallon USA tank. but how thick a glass should the baffles be? and regardless of thinness it wills till have corners to over come.

they should be roughly the same as the rest of the sump gless (the sides and ends) mine are a bit thinner than the main shell of the sump. the baffles are not really load bearing but 6/10mm would be best the baffles also act as bracing so it strenghtens it all

6mm is plenty, up to about 24=30"

glass should be 3mm smaller than the gap and siliconed in place, if it is tight the tank will fail at some point.

Most reactions

trending

Back