summertime raises tank temps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
we have a/c but donā€™t always use it. however the tanks are 77-80 F. no live plants. can i keep lights off. i have a 20 gallon with guppies and a 29 gallon with 3 spotted sunfish and a 55 gallon with one red eared slider. turtle 7 years old and size of saucer. i can put a fan near the fish. how frequent should i do water changes when the water is too warm for the sunfish. they are a shy fish and they freak out when i do water changes. is temp too hot for RES? thanks

77-80F shouldn't be an issue for them.

Reduce feeding during warm weather to keep the tank cleaner.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels.

If you have coverglass on the tank, you can remove them to let heat out. However, if the fish jump you should leave covers on or use some shadecloth or plastic flyscreen.

Do water changes when the nitrates go above 20ppm or if there is any ammonia or nitrite levels in the water.

---------------------------
If the fish are nervous and skittish, have some floating plants in the tank.

Set up a mobile in the room and have a small fan blowing the mobile.

You can tie some lengths of ribbon to the front of the fan and have the fan on oscillate. Make the ribbon about 12-18 inches long and they will wave about when the fan is running.

You can have a small television on in the room. You don't need the sound but the movement and flashing light can help the fish get use to things moving around them.

Move the tank into a room where lots of people move about. The loungeroom is the best place for a tank containing nervous fish.

Make sure the water quality is good and the fish will be less stressed.

If you have coverglass on the tank, you can remove them to let heat out. However, if the fish jump or you have a cat you should leave covers on or use some shadecloth or plastic flyscreen.
Fixed that for you ;)

If you have coverglass on the tank, you can remove them to let heat out. However, if the fish jump you should leave covers on or use some shadecloth or plastic flyscreen.

Do water changes when the nitrates go above 20ppm or if there is any ammonia or nitrite levels in the water.

You can tie some lengths of ribbon to the front of the fan and have the fan on oscillate. Make the ribbon about 12-18 inches long and they will wave about when the fan is running.

You can have a small television on in the room. You don't need the sound but the movement and flashing light can help the fish get use to things moving around them.

Move the tank into a room where lots of people move about. The loungeroom is the best place for a tank containing nervous fish.

thanks so much

Colin_T said: ā†‘
If you have coverglass on the tank, you can remove them to let heat out. However, if the fish jump or you have a cat you should leave covers on or use some shadecloth or plastic flyscreen.

Fixed that for you ;)

if a cat jumps into a fish tank, it becomes a catfish.

Colin_T said: ā†‘

if a cat jumps into a fish tank, it becomes a catfish.

Hahaha! Good one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also run small fans over the top of the water to evaporate and cool down water. I do this on my garden pond. Good luck!

You can also run small fans over the top of the water to evaporate and cool down water. I do this on my garden pond. Good luck!
thank you and congrats on winning tank
of the month!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back